Should parents encourage their teenage children to work even if the family does not need the money?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 1:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Encouraging teenagers to work is great for their future. Teaches them about money and responsiblity, and gives them something to do to stay busy and out of trouble, and helps with their self-esteem.

Making them work on the other hand I do not agree with.
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 2:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• yes, teach them young that nothing comes easy and they need to work for what they have
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think its a good life lesson. Kids who are handed everything come to expect life to be that way. A parents job does not stop when a child enters high school, it continues...and part of that job is teaching the teen how to succeed in a WORKING world.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think so, yes .. I worked as a teenager, it's a good way to begin to be more independent, to learn about the working world, to get experience which later positions will want, to save for college or other needed/desired items, to learn to manage money ... and most of all, to be responsible and accountable!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes. I think so. It's not about money, it's about teaching them the value of a dollar and teaching them responsibility.

They can use their paycheques towards buying themselves a car or saving for college or saving up for a down payment on a house later in life.
    Just because they don't "need" money, doesn't mean they shouldn't learn life skills and work ethic. :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Absolutley, I think a strong work ethic is one of the most importanat traits one can have.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 1:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, I worked as a teen and back then (late 70s) you could start working at 13 part time with a work permit....
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes.
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 1:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I believe it helps them learn so much more if they work.
    I was 13 when I had my first job. It made me feel good
    to work. My daughter is 15 and she has applied at a few places
    but they say she has to wait till she's 16 in nov.
    She is going to de-tassel this year so that will be interesting. She wants to
    buy things that I cannot afford. Girls sometimes can be expensive..
    Plus she wants to help her college fund grow faster.

So yup!
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• they could always put it in a bank account. =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010