How to get my husband onboard....

My dd is 2.5 and we are trying to get her potty trained before she goes back to preschool in the fall. I put my dd in underwear all day, but when my husband comes home he puts our dd in a pull up and puts it on her to go to bed. I keep telling him that she wont learn to go if she has the pull ups on. He says he forgets not to put them on. She could care less if she feels wet with them or not. She is getting better at telling up she has to go, but How do I get him to understand it will go faster if he stops confusing her with the pull ups. He gets annoyed when he has to clean up the messes, which I dont enjoy either, but it is something we have to deal with. Any suggestions on how to get him on board.

melliesmom1207

Asked by melliesmom1207 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's too bad - he's just doing what's easiest for him and not taking her needs and growth into consideration at all.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Hide the pull-ups from him? I guess that is kind of a joke, but if the problem is that he is "forgetting" then mabye put the underwear in the place he usually finds the pull-ups so that when he goes to get a pull-up he will find the underwear instead and it will serve as his "reminder." As for getting him on board in general, remind him that a) the potty training has to be done eventually, and b) the sooner it is done the less messes there will be to clean up so if you both work at it together and get her trained it will be easier for everyone in the long run. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would either throw away or hide the pull ups from him so that he can stop "forgetting"
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• keep reminding him not to put them on her. my dd use to tell my dh that they were "only for bed time" and i think that helped him realize she was ready to not wear them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Don't buy any pull-ups... then he can't use them!!!
    Either that or she just isn't ready, and you have to back off a bit??

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Oh heck, I am with your husband, for the nights anyway. You mean you really don't mind changing wet sheets every night? 2 and a half is a bit young to expect that they not wet at night. If it doesn't come easy for her I would see no reason to keep trying., It just adds stress to the family. I've had 3 and it's just not worth it
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yeah I was going to say stop buying them or hide them when you're not around. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with just don't buy them!!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 2:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Throw the pull ups away or put them in a closet....and where the pull ups used to be put a big note that says "PUT HER IN PANTIES" That should do it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If he wants her in a pullup at night, maybe look into to getting some waterproof training pants for night. That way she's still wearing something that's cloth...you can get her one and stop buying the pullups altogether http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-All-Waterproof-Training-Pants/dp/B000UBGTMC.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 11:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010