One and Done. Kids that is....

Good idea? Or bad idea?
Pros and cons?

roxy1984

Asked by roxy1984 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on the parents and their lives. The "ideal family" is different for everyone.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Um, Ok. That wasn't the question. lol
    roxy1984

Comment by roxy1984 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• That totally depends on the family! I know some people who have a family of three and love it! I personally have always wanted 2 or 3 kids. I love sibling friendship.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• For us, one is enough. We have a very active life and my son is surrounded by others his age. It works for us and we are happy.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• well I had one only for 14 yrs...the pros are I could spend all my time, energy, and money on just him. his vocabulary is fantastic, he was an early reader, talker, writer...because he w as around adults(mainly me) so much...
    the downside? well he didnt have sibs to play with, didnt have that feeling of "family"...I now have a 15 yr old and a 15 month old and they are so so close. I am happy with my choice because one day when I am gone, they will have each other.and each others kids, and families...thats my 2 cents-but ultimately its what you want for you. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• 1 and done for me!! besides him being the hardest child on the planet without a medical condition, he has not only chose to be an only but we also want to give him more opportunity in life for his future than we ever got.. Like being able to save money for college or afford certain activities he wants to join or actually go on family vacations..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It really depends on the family and the child, but this is what I have listed as pros and cons:
    Only child
    Pros: Kid gets the most attention, able to do more w/ only one kid, takes less money to raise one kid
    Cons: Loneliness, no siblings to keep them occupied. My mom is an only child and always said she hated it. She says now that she's older, she really feels like she's missing out on a sibling because there is no one else besides my brother and I (and having siblings is different than kids)
    More than one:
    Pros: Kid gets a built in playmate; fun to see how different they are, kid learns to share at an early age
    Cons: more expensive. going out is a bigger production
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Pros: You can still have a life with just one child. One child means that if they are napping you have free time, if he/she goes on a play date, you have free time. There are always more adults/hands than there are children (assuming you are married).
    Cons: They have no one to play with. I can't imagine my life without my siblings, they were/are so important to me.

I have 2 kids. Going from 1-2 was a giant adjustment. 90% of my days is dealing with how they interact with eachother, lol. A good friend of mine has 1 child, her life is WAY easier to manage. WAY. She doesn't know that though, cause she never had two. You can totally manage a normal life with just one child. Two or more moves you into crazy family life category, lol.

Whether its a good idea or bad idea is up to you. I wouldn't change having two for anything.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I was one and done... And then it was two and through... Now we are on three and tying my tubes! lol

I don't see anything wrong with only having one child. I think it's a great thing to know your limit. I am apparently super fertile, so even though we wanted to stop having kids, we ended up having more... I feel guilty from time to time because we have more than one, I think only children really get a better life, but maybe that's because I had siblings...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• There is not right or wrong answer to your question. It is all personal opinion.

The decision is YOURS and YOURS alone to make with your husband.
    I personally have 4 children - but do I look down at those few people I know that have single children - no.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010