Do you consider unemployment to be welfare?

Now that you will be able to get almost 2 1/2 yrs of unemployment does that make it pretty much just another wefare program?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's all government aid. While it may not be the same thing, technically, I do not think it is the job of the government to take care of us.

I just looked up the definition of welfare and here it is: financial or other assistance to an individual or family from a city, state, or national government. So I guess unemployment would be welfare.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• from a city, state, or national government. So I guess unemployment would be welfare.

Unemployment comes from employers. The Fed only subsidizes it when the problem hits critical mass and the fund is depleted. For those states that are not insolvent, unemployment is STILL paid by employers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Of course not. You have to have a job first, have to have enough quarters worked to qualify, and have to prove you're looking to keep it. Of course, it would be easier for people to write it off as welfare so they don't look like such a cast bitch when they whine about people who collect it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It never was, but now with this new change, yes that's exactly what it's turning into.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, that's what that makes it. Unemployment was intended to bridge the gap, not to become a way of life.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes. Not working for up to 2 1/2 years for your paycheck is welfare in my book. Emplioyers who have to pay excessive unemployment have to cut costs other places and have to raise prices, which affects all of us.
    Anonymous

• No not at all. Unless you only work for a short time and get yourself fired so you can draw it, etc. As long as you are a hard worker and looking for work, and you aren't abusing the system, I see nothing wrong with using the resources that are available to you when you really need help.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No, you only get unemployment if you worked. It's like half of what you would have earn if you didn't loose your job.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 2:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I dont think so, I was working full time but then doctor put me on bedrest till after i have the baby, i had to do something for income, I have been working sense i was 16yrs old, so i dont feel bad for collecting uneployment just until baby is born, i plan on going back to work 6 weeks after giving birth as long as everything goes good, unemployment is not welfare, u have to actually work to collect unemployment
    whatthefawna

Answer by whatthefawna at 2:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No, and I do think after a year you should have to prove your looking in good faith

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010