Did you teach your child(ren)...

to read?
What age did you start and how did you go about doing it.

I feel like my son may be ready to start learning. He has always loved books and loved being read to. I would love to teach him how to print letters and would love to teach him how to read words but I have no idea where to start.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance! :)

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 2:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Start with letter recogition then move to all the sounds of the letters. When he starts sounding out words have him write words too but let him sound them out as he writes.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i dont think there is really a bad age to start i started when my daughter was 2 she loves to read
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 2:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My oldest is 4 1/2 and knows several sight words and we do phonics on a daily basis. He can sounds out simple words. We do the sight words on flashcards and then have him pick them out while we are reading to him.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We started teaching my son the skills he needs in order to read when he was 2.

We like Hooked on Phonics and the BOB Books.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• How did you start? I'm at a loss of what the best way to go about teaching him is.
    What kinds of teaching tools did you use?
    Laila-May

Comment by Laila-May (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The best thing you can do to promote reading is to read to him often. He will naturally start to ask where a particular word is, etc. Go to the library with him. He will love getting a libray card. Some libraries require that the child can write his name first. Call yours and ask. Both my children were reading by the time they went to kindergarten without any sort of workbooks, etc.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Kyra has an ABC poster in her room. She copies the letter and draws a picture of something starting with it.
    We used alphabet work books, flash cards, and books. I would point to a picture in a book, ask her the sound of a letter then ask her to find things starting with it. We wrote her name ad had her copy it a few times then do it on her own.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You can also try the Leapfrog products. They have a new one out for pre-k. I have been teaching my 3 yr old with the leappad and we also used it on my middle child. We also have the hooked on phonics books which we used for my eldest. I usually start them out at 2 with letter recognition flashcards so they become familiar with the letters and sounds, then move on to formal teaching with the products I mentioned above (usually around age 3). My middle child actually took longer to grasp reading and she finally picked it up in kindergarten so each child is different.
    Lily23

Answer by Lily23 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sure did! We use Phonics Pathways. Love that book!
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010