How do you explain "divorce" to a 5 and 7 year old?

I mean I know to keep it at a level they will understand, but I'd like to hear from a few parents who have personal experience. I want this divorce to go as smoothly as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• Tell them the basics, that you and he cannot live together anymore and then let the kids ask all the questions that they need too. This will help them to feel that they are important enough to be included in this and will let them also know that they can ask questions when they need too.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I told my children that parents don't always live together, but we both still love them and we are still a family, but with 2 homes.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When a family member and spouse split this is what they did-- they both sat down with the kids and said something like this: "Daddy and I love you very much and NOTHING will ever change that. No matter what, you are the most important people in our lives. Mommy and daddy are getting a divorce, which means we will not be living with each other in the same house anymore, daddy and I will each have our own house. I know this is a big change, and it is going to be an adjustment. Daddy and I will do our best to help you get thru this".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• we were pretty young when my parents split up. they made a point of telling us together that daddy was moving out because they couldn't get along anymore but that it was not because of us and they both loved us very much. they made sure that we understood that we would continue to have a relationship with both of them and none of us felt like it was about us.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010