How do you explain "divorce" to a 5 and 7 year old?

I mean I know to keep it at a level they will understand, but I'd like to hear from a few parents who have personal experience. I want this divorce to go as smoothly as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Awww, I don't know. I hope someone on here can help you out though. Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My younger two were 4 and 6 when their dad and I separated. I simply told them that their dad and I would be living in different places, that they would be living with me but would still get to go spend time with their dad, and that their dad and I would just be friends from now on. I took them to a child psychologist for a while too (3-4 months) who talked to them about feelings and what were appropriate ways to get their feelings out (ie punching on a pillow when they were angry, reading a funny book when they were sad, etc.)

Answer by missanc at 8:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

1. This is not your fault.

2. Mom and Dad will always be your parents.

3. This is about change, not about blame.

4. Things will work out okay.

5. Mom and Dad will always love you.

Read the rest of the article here.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010