What can I use?? Powder just isn't working.

My 16 month old has had a really bad rash that I have been trying to get rid of by treating it with baby powder. Diaper changes are the worst. Please help!

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 2:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Powder makes me and my son irritated. We cannot use it. I say buy any diaper rash cream for it. My son had the best response to Resinol. You have to look hard to find the stuff, but, it's worth it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Butt Paste! It's the best!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I used triple antibiotic and alternated with Butt paste. I also put plain yogurt on it and fed it too her. Yogurt will help balance out her PH
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Try A&D ointment. It worked for my daugher because it kept the wetness off her.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 2:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• butt paste is pretty good, haha, if regular diaper rash creams dont work, take your baby to the doctor
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 2:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• corn starch. the kind from the baking isle. or any cream with corn starch in it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've read that you should not use talc or baby powder because it can be a carcinogen if it is inhaled. I don't use any powder on my son. I like Balmex and Desitin the best. Johnson and Johson's diaper rash ointment is worthless.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Try using desitin or A&D ointment, many people suggest using triple paste, I've always been successful with the first 2 so never needed to try the 3rd. Good luck, powder isn't going to keep the urine and the feces off the skin so it's not going to protect that skin like a diaper rash ointment will. If you try the ointment for a while and it doesn't go away it may be yeast and you'll need either a prescription for it, or you could use like a feminine yeast cream for it.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We usually use baby powder. But if he is red and has a rash, I use Butt Paste on it. Clears it up pretty fast!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I take him/her to the pediatrician. You need to rule out yeast.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010