is my two year old normal or beyond the "terrible" twos?

I am pretty much at my wits end. I am an extremely patient person, and I have always thought I was a great mom. Now, I think I'm a horrible mom, and I need help. I don't know how to parent. I have one 2-yr and one 1-yr. The 2 yr doesn't listen to anything, throws fits, throws food, hurts the 1-yr, won't walk w/ me on our way out from daycare, won't sit to be buckled into car seat, throws toys to try to his 1-yr old, won't take a sippy unless the lid is off, then spills the drink on purpose. What do I do? How did my little sweet baby get so...impossible. please, someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!

kmecf

Asked by kmecf at 9:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 23 months old and from what you have said it sounds like you are talking about her. I have been wondering the same thing about 'where has my sweet little baby gone?' There will be some days where she listens well and goes to bed on time and does everything nicely but then all of a sudden you wake up one day and she is a different child. She will not listen. Does everything that she knows she is not supposed to do. You get her away from one thing she is messing with that shouldnt be and before you turn your back she is onto the next.
    LindseyAmanda

Answer by LindseyAmanda at 9:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• There are some days where I just cry because I feel like a failure. One thing that does keep me going is knowing that she is capable of better and that I have heard from a lot of people that it stops just as fast as it starts so I keep praying that soon soon she will be done with all of this and start being my nice little girl again. She has even come up to me and smacked me across the face. I have never ever hit her so I do not even know where she gets it from.A
    Hopefully your settles down soon as does my own and we can breathe again.
    Good luck to you!! And message me if you ever want to talk. It seems our children are at exactley the same stage now. I have tried time out. I have tried getting down to her level and explaining to her why she can not do something or why she needs to listen but it doesn't work. So if you come up with something/anything that works then please please let me know.
    LindseyAmanda

• I know where you are coming from.
    When my first 2 kids were little.. my son went thru it late..and my daughter went thru it early..
    So I had 2 of them that went from being perfect angels to one day.. they just woke up and decided to see if they could make me crazy.
    The worst part of it all .. was my family !! i knew the kids were just going thru a phase.. but my family.. insisted that it was because I wasn't parenting correctly. Talk about making a bad situation worse! Now not only did I feel bad that my kids were being holly terrors. but I felt like it was ALL my fault.
    Take a deep breath. And know that this too will pass! (but never quickly enough)
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2008