Why won't he sleep?

My 2 year old will not go to sleep. Bedtime is 8:00pm and he doesn't go to sleep until at least midnight. He lays in bed and cries and screams because he is not allowed to get up. Then he when we have to wake up at 7am he is tired and cranky. He also usually refuses to nap. Will he ever realize he needs more sleep? Is there something I can do? We've had and have stuck to a bedtime routine since he was 7 months and it was never a problem until recently.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is becoming more aware of his surroundings and probably more energetic as well. When I worked in child care I would take the kids out that had difficulty sleeping at nap and have them all "race" each other for ten minutes...
    They slept much better!
    Maybe play harder at the end of the day and bump up bed time to 8:30...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sounds like your doing everything you can, just stick to it! It is most likely a phase and he will get over it!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 3:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If it's a recent thing - does he maybe have an ear infection? It would explain some of the crying, it hurts to lay down when you have one! It's always the first sign with my kids, not sleeping well or not wanting to go to sleep.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Oh man, I am pretty nervous for when my DS gets to that age! My friend had the same problem, but after a few nights of letting her cry it out, my friend's daughter finally got use to the bedtime.  My friend also recommended me a site (theskinnyscoop) to check out what other mother's are going through so I can be more prepared as my DS grows. There is a perfect "sleeping" category that might help you get ideas for your bedtime troubles....goodluck!

jackemama

Answer by jackemama at 3:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When DD goes through her no-sleep cycles, DH or I will lay on the floor next to her crib until she falls asleep. Its not a perfect solution but it works for us. We make sure we aren't really looking at her or engaging her in any way and pretty soon we'll hear her deep breathing and tiptoe out of the room.
    SpartyGuard

Answer by SpartyGuard at 4:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sounds like he's way over-tired.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 11:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010