For how long do you take toys away?

If my 5 1/2-year-old son refuses to pick-up his toys, we take them away. We only take what he refuses to put away. If you do the same, when and under what circumstances do you give them back?

Erin814

Asked by Erin814 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It depends on the infraction...sometimes a day...sometimes several weeks! It also depends on how MUCH they loved the toy that I take away..."lesser" toys don;t have as much of an impact as the favorite ones do!

We take away toys when they are used as weapons to hurt each other, are thrown around as part of a temper tantrum, or if they try to break the toys or destroy them--ie: throwing an electronic toy in our pool! Yeah, it's happened, when they were angry!

When that happens, we refuse to buy any new toys, and they have to work REALLY hard on their good behaviors, for a set number of days, before they get back their old favorites--and it's always conditional.

We've been using this form of punishment (along with time-outs, and no TV) since they were toddlers, at 8 and 6, and lately they've been taking much better care of their toys--especially their favorites!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My daughter is 6. I take them away for a week the first time. If I have to take an item away a second time, the rule is a month. I've never had to take anything away a second time. I think if I had to take something away a third time, it would be gone for good.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would take away all the toys...even the ones he does put away if hes doesnt want to complete the whole job...IMO it teaches him to do what he wants --- odds are the ones you take aways he doesnt care that much about either --- ok now that I've said that...My oldest DD looses things for 1 day @ a time....my youngest DD looses for 1/2 the day, though shes getting ready to get moved up to the whole day :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would take all the toys away, not just the ones he refuses to put away. Due to the fact that he still gets to play, just not with those specific toys. Which doesn't make it a real punishment, just an annoyance until he gets those toys back. If he doesn't do his chores, like pick up all the toys, then he should have then all taken away. Locked in a closet or something like that. Then anywhere from an hour to an entire day depending on what you feel is best. I would personally go for an entire day, just to show him that there are consequences and he is to follow the rules.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• it depends.we have our son on a sticker chart.its been a god send.if he doesnt do the daily things he doesnt recieve a sticker there fore a alowance at end of the week.
    johnny4ever

Answer by johnny4ever at 6:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• first time 1 week second time 1 month third time....he may just lose them depending on what they are. I also put them in plain sight usually on top of fridge so he can see but not touch. that way he has the visual reminder.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010