Do you love fresh pineapple? Then help please.

How can you tell if those buggers are ripe? Color, firmness, smell, sound when thumped?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I look for one that is slightly soft. Just slightly. Have had pretty good luck that way.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with alittle soft being good. I buy mine with a little green and usually dont cut it right away. If you cut it and it is too early it will still ripen in the fridge.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Supposed to be on the harder side but where you can still squeeze it a little - just not mushy like , you should be able to smell the pinapple smell for it to be ripe. and make sure its not SUPER green either.. should have some color to it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• At the stem end (where it was connected to the plant) it should give to slight pressure, but not be mushy, and it should have at least some pineapple scent at the stem end, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I do love them, yes ... but I always have the produce man choose (and cut) mine for me, so I don't know how to pick it out myself!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• green is not ripe

if it is at all squishy with any solid dark spots it too ripe.
    i think you want brown with a little green but mostly brown and tannish/yellow color.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I love fresh pineapple, but I also have mine prepared in the produce dept.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The spikes are all pointing upward. It should be hard when squeezed, a little softness is okay, but not soft enough for you to really squeeze into it. And the color should be more brown then green.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Agree with elizabr. I sometimes buy them when they aren't very ripe, as ria7 does. I allow mine to ripen at room temp on the counter top. When it's ripe, cut it into chunks and chill well before serving.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010