How can I ease my 5 year old daughter's fear of firemen?

I've taken her to community functions where she can see the firetruck and meet the firemen. My brother was a volunteer firefighter, so we were able to sit inside a firetruck, etc. I've also talked to her about what they do and how they help get kitty cats down from trees (I thought the kitty thing would solve the problem). But she still cries when they approach her. As soon as she spots them she will not let go of me until they leave. HELP!!!

sweetpeasmom1

Asked by sweetpeasmom1 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• Are they in full dress when they come near? Maybe it has something to do with the getup.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• You should see if you can take her in and have them slowly put the suit on, that way she can see that it's just a normal person. Also see if they will let her try some of it on. I know we have a firefighter museum where kids can try on the clothes. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• The firemen are not in their suits when we run into them at Starbucks or the grocery store. They're just in their navy blue uniforms. I don't think she's ever seen them in their suits, or whatever they call their outfits to wear when putting out a fire. lol
    sweetpeasmom1

Answer by sweetpeasmom1 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• That's an odd fear then. Like they're in pretty much street clothes, just like the pants and the blue shirt? Has she ever had a bad experience with a firefighter? And why are you worried about getting her over the fear? She'll eventually outgrow it, and if it isn't the actual suit she's afraid of, it's not like she'll hide if there's a fire.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My dad is a chief and he said what scares kids the most is the full gear...especially the masks. Have you told her a story about a house burning and maybe a dog being rescued by a firefighter who looked a little scary but was really nice? *shrug*
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Awwwwwwwwwww.
    That was all I could say at first.
    She'll prolly grow out of it.
    Being that your Bro is a FM is your daughter arounf FM Alot?
    If not....I wouldn't worry about it...she'll probably grow out of it.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 12:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Yeah, I'm sure she will grow out of it. My bro was a volunteer fireman for a couple of years. Since he only volunteered, she didn't see him very often in his uniform. I hope she grows out of this soon because if a fireman approaches her to give her a sticker badge she starts crying. It really makes the fireman feel bad!!! I asked this question to see if anyone else has experienced this and to see if anyone had suggestions to help with my daughter's fireman phobia. Wouldn't it be funny if she ends up marrying a fireman someday?! :)

sweetpeasmom1

Answer by sweetpeasmom1 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008