I just found out that I am pregnant is it ok to continue to take my over-the-counter daily multi-vitamin?

It is CVS brand and it does have 400 mcg of folic acid in it. I dont see my doctor until Aug 8th when im 8 wks, and I dont know if I should stop taking it until I see her or if it is ok.

Hlchambers3

Asked by Hlchambers3 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it's probably fine. it's just a vitamin
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would get prenatal vitamins.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's better to have the folic acid. You can get prenatal vitamins over the counter as well. Congrats!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Check the amount of folic acid in the prenatal vit and compare it to the regular. I believe pregnant women need 600 to 1000 mcg of folic but I can't be sure. Congratulations!

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i would definitely take a prenatal vitamin....i think they have double the folic acid as daily multivitamins. babycenter.com and thebump.com have good answers too. you can always call your dr office and ask the nurse what they recommend.
    southernlovin

Answer by southernlovin at 3:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You could get the Prenatal Vitamins. && congrats! :D
    Bubbles_mommy

Answer by Bubbles_mommy at 3:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Take whatever you think is right for you. The prenatal are more for your body than the baby. The baby will be soaking up all the nutrients from your body.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• personally, i would buy the prenatals............because they have more folic acid then the regular vitamins.
    mghtymffn

Answer by mghtymffn at 3:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If you don't have the money to buy prenatals keep taking the regular multivitamin. Otherwise get some prenatals because you should be getting more folic acid if possible. Also eating leafy green vegetables will give you more folic acid
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• A RN told me to take the regular vitamins because those are better than none. However, if you can afford it, get some prenatal vitamins. That's what I did.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2010