HELP!! My 2 year old hits!!

My 2yr old daughter just picked up the habit of hitting every one. this started about a week ago and my hubby and i don't know what to do. when she gets mad she starts hitting or throwing stuff i really don't know where she picked up this habit since shes been home with me all day for the summer and when she was in day care they never had any problems with her fighting?? how should i approach this problem?

teen_mommy1133

Asked by teen_mommy1133 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is almost 2 and he does the same thing. I just grab his hand look him in the eye and tell him it is not nice to hit, then he goes in time out. He is still hitting (not as often) but sometimes he raises his hand to hit me then stops so I think it's working.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 3:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• my 2 yrs old has red hair and a horrible temper..he also has hit...he got in big trouble...he's learned to hit the wall instead...i still dont like that he does that, but its better then a person, or the cat which he tried too. im still working on it, i dont have the perfect answer but i always say no, am vvery serious and say it hurts mommy...or whomever....hes also very sensitive so if he thinks he gave mommy an "owie" then he feels very bad...we also make him apologise every time...even to the cat! it seems to help a little...he also gets time out
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 3:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with Rhiannon.. My son picked up an aggressive streak after numerous people at his Center, the same age, took to biting him.. its like he felt so threatened he took that out on the ones who he trusts and love at home, I do the same discipline as Rhiannon
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• This is a common case of an adult looking at a child and seeing adult motives and understanding in a child who does not yet have the brain parts necessary to see anything this way.

Two year olds are immature. Part of that immaturity is in communication. This means that they are incapable of expressing themselves, just as they are incapable of restraining themselves from using their bodies to express what they're feeling.

As the only adult in the pair of you, your job is to see the behaviour coming (as little kids are a bit obvious in what they're thinking and what they're about to do) and hold her hand when it pulls back to hit something, lift the toy out of her hand on the backswing to throw or hit with it, lift her away when she's trying to kick anyone or anything that shouldn't be kicked.

As her ability to express herself improves, she will also become aware that people are not for hitting.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My son will be 2 years soon as well and does this. Less often now than before but plain and simple toddlers hit. We tell him its not nice and then he goes in time out for approx 2 mins and we do that every time he hits. He hits less and less now but just be consistent and try the time out thing. We use nanny jo's techniques and they work.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My oldest two started hitting out of anger at this age. (youngest just turned 1 not hitting yet). I don't believe in smacking a child on the hand for hitting (do as I say not as I do- makes no freak'n sense to me thats how I was raised and I remember being confuesed about a lot). So I came up with a 3 step plan. 1). Time out looking at the - when they want to test you further and run away keep putting them back in the time out until they get the point, & a minute per year of age. 2) For hitting they have to stand with their arms out the side so they make a " T " Their little arms get tired, this doesn't hurt them but the achey arms helps jog the memory of why we don't hit. 3) Talk to your child about why they had a time out " When you hit you go to the wall, with your arms out. You don't like it, so your not going to hit anymore, understand? " At 2 they understand a lot more then you think. It works! Just stay with it GL!
    1nglmom3

Answer by 1nglmom3 at 4:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2010