If you were a mom looking for in-home childcare...

Would it matter that the person you're taking them to lives in an apartment, not a house (a nice one in a great part of a quiet town, )? What if that person has 15 years experience and excellent references?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is there a playground nearby? That would be my concern that my child would not get to play outside as much.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I was recently looking for in home care, and I guess for me.. yeah it would be a deal breaker.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• but I also know how hard it is to find someone you trust to care for your whole world, so if you feel that connection, trust her and think she has everything else it takes to care for your child, then you'd have to weigh the pro's and con's about the apartment itself.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Talk it over with her and tell her that you want your children to get outdoors. Is going for a long walk frequently good enough? I would hope there is a playground nearby. And, if not, then you have to decide if it is OK for the children to be driven to a playground. These are issues you need to discuss with her and then you can decide if it is a good match for you. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When I first starting babysitting out of my home I lived in a side by side house and it wasnt that great looking and we didnt have a whole lot of stuff. I think I'm a pretty good babysitter,lol. We did have 3 different parks within walking distance though and we went often. It was fun, the kids had a blast. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Is there an area in her home, like a rec room in basement, where kids can kick a ball, ride a small ride on toy, etc?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would ask her if she plans on going for walks, ask about the apartment yard space- can the kids run around there, or are parks close by that she can take them to for fresh air and excercise. If she is open to doing that then I would be open to her watching my children, her being in an apartment would not matter.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would not be detoured by an apartment alone. I have lived in many apartments and most have big grassy areas and playgrounds as well as side walks for nice strolls. I would want to know how she handled 'outside' play. The number of children she was keeping in her smaller area and how sleeping arrangements were handled. An organized person who really wants to keep kids will have everything figured out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would prefer it. People in houses have more of a chance that they will open a door and get out in to the road. I don't think daycare or sitters should be taking kids outside so that's also a benefit in my mind and someone in an apartment has to be stricter on things like running, jumping and other rowdy activities which I don't think children should be doing at a daycare...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• SabrinaMBowen - No running, jumping or going outside? What are they supposed to do, sit on the floor all day? >.< Kids have to DO things. They're kids.

I agree with many others - I wouldn't be deterred by the fact that the daycare was in an apartment. Look at those things that are most important to you. Do you feel it's important that your kiddo gets healthy snacks? Make sure it's the case at that daycare. If you want your child to have lots of outside time, talk to the provider and make sure that will happen. Check out the apartment's playground yourself.

One caveat: Make absolutely SURE though, that if the complex has a pool, there are plenty of people there (not just the one provider) to watch the children while they're playing in the water, if they go!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010