Is a sahm and a housewife the same occupation?

Just omit the kids and you are either or...correct?

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah..sound right to me.

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You could say homemaker and that would cover both, I think.

Answer by Erin814 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• IMO, a stay at mom is one whose main job is to take care of the kids. She may also do the cleaning and taking care of the household but the main job is the children. A housewife is one is main job is to take care of the general household while the children are away at school (of if they have already moved out of the house).

• yes i believe they are. you still clean house,take car of the kids,pay bills, go shopping and care for your husband when he gets home

Answer by londamg at 3:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Personally I don't think so. I am more Housewife now than Stay At Home Mom. My kids are all middle school aged and OLDER so I am no longer staying at home FOR my children. I am staying at home for myself.

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I always felt that a homemaker /housewife does not necessarliy have children. A SAHM is both mother and homemaker.

Answer by elizabr at 3:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree sounds right to me!

Answer by Dannille33 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When I was younger there was no title SAHM, it was housewife or homemaker. To me it all means the exact same thing.

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I prefer to be called a house frau thank you very much.

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's the same thing. If you're home then it's your job to take care of the kids and the house. It's possible to be a housewife without having kids but being a SAHM means you're also a housewife. I know a couple of women who say it's their job to raise the child and their husbands do all the housework but they're very much in the minority and I don't know why any man would put up with that. I used to know a woman on a moms board who had a 2 year old, only child with no special needs, and she just took care of him. When he napped she did nothing. Her hubby did all the cooking and cleaning when he came home from work. So ridiculous.

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2010