I have a friend who is working fulltime with two kids and a husband with travelling job. I think she is happy with her job but she is always stressed with her kids and her job. She always tells me that she is stressed. I am planning to start working soon and I also have two kids and my husband also travels a lot. All of this is making it very hard for me to sure whether I am taking the right decision. Any thoughts about this matter?

Vmom79

Asked by Vmom79 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would do what you feel is right for your family. Every situation is different. Maybe there is more going on between her and her husband than she is telling you.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• transitions are more stressful, meals, planning, putting the house back together~good childcare is the key i think~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• She is not you. Just because she feels this way does not mean you will. Organization is key - stay organized and you'll do just fine.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Working and having kids is hard and can be stressful. After all even when you are at work you are thinking about the kids. When you are with the kids you end up getting a call from work... It's never ending.

You can manage it though! It is doable. You can be a good mom and a good employee and you can not be crazy with stress. Meal plans. packing lunches and bags the night before. Making sure the place you are leaving the kids at is THE right place for them and you. Making it clear at the job that home time is home time and though you understand that sometimes they will need to reach you, you ask that they please be respectful of your family time. a good dry erase calendar posted for everyone to see when everything is happening and then you can keep up to! (school/church events, days off, play dates...) Lotsof moms with little or no support from a SO do just fine working. The situation will be what you make it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'd write something, however, "But_Mommy" said everything I'd say. You have to do what's best for your family. It doesn't have to be sheer chaos.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Being a mom and a wife is a full time job, especially when you have a husband who's not around a lot. Do you have 40 hours a week currently where you're sitting around going nothing? I doubt it very much.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would say try it out working part time first and then if that goes well for you try working full time, but if you feel it's too overwhelming then I wouldn't do it especially if you don't HAVE to work.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:39 AM on Jul. 21, 2010