Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Boilogical dad NOT answering the phone!!

Should I be able to say something in court if it ever comes up if my GD baby's father never answers the phone when she is with him!! It drives me insane! I just want to know how she is! And she had a doc appt this morning, and I want to know how it went, and HE IS NOT ANSWERING!!! She is with him, she is my daughter, I want to know. Can something be done?

Answer Question

Asked by Amber211 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 12 (884 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I'm not sure if the courts would do anything with this information, but try talking to your lawyer if you have one. It is your right as a parent to be able to call and be assured that your child is doing fine while away from you. Personally, I'd have a conversation with this guy and tell him your concerns.

    Answer by AidensMommy608 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • He's not required by law to answer the phone when you call and a judge won't direct him otherwise.

    The judge is only there to preside over legal matters, not solve you & biodad's personal problems.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 4:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • maybe he wants their time together to not be interrupted. do you try to call a lot during his visits?
    do you suspect something is wrong?

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • I agree with upsherises...It would be nice if he would answer but he doesn't legally have to.

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • There is to be an open form of communication with him at all time, and that goes both ways. Both parties are to provide the other with a working number while the other has the child. And the conversations are to be private. unless it is easier for the child due to age to use a speaker phone you are entitled to a private conversation at reasonable hours with your child. Personally I would have attended the Dr. appointment with them. You have that right and if he did not want to be there with you than he did not have to go.....just mo.

    Answer by ambernicole531 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • No, I don't call a lot. But when I DO, he NEVER answers. The reason I am so concerned right now is because my dh had a swollen throat when she left with him, and I need to know what the doctor said. I need peace of mind.

    Comment by Amber211 (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • Talk to your lawyer. Honestly, it's really immature of him to not answer. You have every right to know how your child is doing when they are not with you. Can a judge order him to be an adult and answer the phone? I don't know. I fail to see how his time with her is less meaningful if he lets her mother know how a doctor's appointment went. Maybe I'm just suspcious but to me when someone doesn't answer your phone calls there is a reason. In this case admittedly I don't know all the details but I don't see any justification for his actions whatsoever.

    Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • Amber211...can you guys text? Obviously i have no background here but i'll guess that you're not together cause you didn't get along. Maybe he's not answering cause he doesn't wan't to "deal" with you and like most jerk-x's doesn't understand that your concerned about your child, not calling to yell at him.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 4:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • If you have a custody agreement it might say somewhere in there that he cannot deny you reasonable access to your child and you cannot do the same to him. MN and ND both have something similar they put in the agreements so I would imagine many other states have something like it too.

    Answer by sk_tennyson at 4:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • Keep a log of when you call. My ex used to, and still does, the same thing. But I have it written in our custody agreement now that I am allowed to have "reasonable phone access" to my kids when they are visiting him (they are older and can talk on the phone). Our preferred method of communication according to the order is via email, and he is required to get back to me within 3 days (because he used to just ignore my emails, as well as my phone calls). Also, he is required to contact me if he makes the kids have any type of dr, dentist, etc appointment for them - not usually a problem because I schedule them when they are with me.
    Speak with your attorney and see if you can get something added to your order to increase communication between you when he has your daughter.

    Answer by missanc at 8:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.