need help

my baby girl is going to start school for the very frist time we are all so happy she is growing up to fast ..we have open house on the 12 of aug to meet her teacher so moms out there my question is what are the best questions i can ask her teacher ..i what to know everything i want to do this right she is my only child so we have never done this before i dont know where to start or what to do call me crazy lol HELP

nikki78045

Asked by nikki78045 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh how fun for her! My daughters all loved pre-school. I start out by asking what type of curriculum do they follow (so that I could follow up at home), how do they handle misbehavior (i.e. re-direction, time outs, etc.), what is their daily schedule, are the teachers certified and backgrounds checked, do they try to accomodate a child's personal schedule. My daughter would eat at odd times so the personal schedule question was important to me...I wanted to make sure that if she didn't eat at the designated lunch time that she would be fed when she is hungry later. I would also ask about their playground or what they do for playtime (go outside, stay inside, etc, if breakfast/lunch/snack are provided do they have a menu, etc. Think about what you want her to get out of attending school and base your questions on that as well as concerns you might have for her transitioning from home to school. Good luck!
    Lily23

Answer by Lily23 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We just went and looked around during the open house - we didn't really ask a lot of questions as a lot had been answered in all of the paperwork I had received. I assume you know tuition/hours/responsibilities/rules/supplies?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Ok, I would personally ask her what her views are when it comes to disciplining the children. For example, our school still paddles, which I do not agree with. I make sure that it is known that this is not a practice I approve of, but I also need to know what, to the teacher, warrants a paddling. I have had a very great experience doing this. I have always been polite about it and careful not to come across the wrong way. Another thing I would find out is how involved you are going to be able to be and I would let them know, if you are willing, that you are available throughout the year to help. For me, that is important because I like to be very involved in my sons schooling and any activities. Gosh, I am sure there is more if I take a minute to think but these two jumped out at me first.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010