is the sabbath a staurday or sunday?

please explain why its Saturday or why its Sunday
thank you

do you keep it holy? i find it hard not to do anything on the sabbath its boring

londamg

Asked by londamg at 4:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'm jewish, so for me it's saturday. I don't 'do nothing' either. but I limit what I do. if it's something that I really hate and consider it work, then I don't do it. I do things I enjoy.
    from time to time, circumstances make it so I have to do things on Saturday, but it's rare.

Anonymous

• Saturday. Sabbathe is Sabado.
    BoricuaMom2teen

Answer by BoricuaMom2teen at 4:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i get that the sabbath isnt suppose to be about me but i am a christian who never knew about the sabbath keeping until the last couple of years. i just am not 100% sure which day it is and what you can and can not do on that day. i know for sure your not suppose to work or make anyone else work so i am not to go shopping as that causes someone to work. buti was told you are not to play any sports that day,no tv, no computer, no nothing that bring YOU pleasure. i just dont know if i can do that. My kids play sports and the game are always on a Saturday or Sunday. which is another issue i have. most Christians believe its sunday but i dont get why? were i attend church the sabbath is saturday. how do you kow which is the correct day i dont want to keep the wrong day lol
    londamg

Comment by londamg (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• In my 35 yrs I have learned that it is on a Saturday.
    Some Churches have services though on both Saturday and Sunday and some just on Sunday.

I have also come to the understanding that it are to rest and keep it holy. Meaning no working or hard labor.
    But God knows that we must work and bring in income.

I say ask your pastor or minister for the answers you seek. If someone is telling you not to do all these things remember they cannot judge you only God can!

I would really advise you to talk to someone that knows the Bible and all that entails it though. :)

Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Set aside a day of rest to honor God. Don't get caught up in legalism. At least that is what I do.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 4:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Technically, I consider the Sabbath to be Saturday and it is a day of rest. Sunday is our day of worship.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Technically it is Saturday.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Biblicaly it means rest... and can be done on any day...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Actually... in a very technical sense (and all practicing Jews know this - as well as religious "entities" that condone keeping the Sabbath) begins on FRIDAY.... at sundown. And lasts until sundown on Saturday. So, after the sun has set on Saturday, the Sabbath is "technically" over. This only applies if you are taught to keep the Sabbath the "proper way".

However, in the New Covenant (which "went into effect" after Jesus died, resurrected & went to Heaven), there is no SPECIFIC day to keep. In Romans, it basically says that YOU can pick the day you would like to honor God & worship Him then.. it could be ANY DAY of the week - or, it could be EVERY DAY. It was completely up to the Christian - and what worked best for their family. Being a Christian was set up to be RADICALLY different from Judaism and all of their legalities. Also, "Keeping the Sabbath" is the only commandment NOT MENTIONED in the NT. (cont. below)
    Cairebaire

Answer by Cairebaire at 5:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• So, the bottom line is that EACH FAMILY should decide for themselves.... and keep that day as a day for FELLOWSHIP - with their family, their friends & church gathering (but, this is said really as a way for other Christians to be around "like-minded" people - so they could praise & discuss the Bible without ridicule or obstacles. It's also a place to receive support & advice - when needed. That's the TRUE reason for church! It was NEVER meant to be legalistic & you have to follow the rules of the Sabbath exactly like "ABC". That was abolished. And, in the beginning, Christians met & had fellowship with one another in their HOMES. It was an informal & peaceful affair! They left with an extra kick in their step & love in their hearts! It saddens mean whenever someone (or some church) turns "being a Christian" & "going to church" into a antiseptic & legalistic gathering! That's not how is was originally set up! (cont...)
    Cairebaire

Answer by Cairebaire at 5:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010