Choice...

I applied to some jobs a few months ago cuz i was getting bored at home with DD. She sleeps for 2-3 hours during the day... and the house is getting to the point of being too clean.. Anyway, I talked to hubs and we decided that instead of me getting a job, it would be better to have another child so I'm not so bored and I would go back to work when they are both older (we want 2 kids).
I got a job interview today though and got excited, but at the same time: DD is still breastfed, DH doesn't want me working (he goes to school and works, so me not working cuts stress for him), and I was excited about having another baby. We don't NEED the money, but extra is always nice.
What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree with wildflowers...having a baby is no way to cure boredom. You can always start the job and see if it works out. If it doesn't, quit when you get pregnant.

Plus, DH can take care of himself. There are plenty of single parents who work and go to school with no support at all.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't think having a baby is a cure for boredom. For me, if I had worked in between having my first and second, I would have been more excited I think to stay home with my second baby. I would have had time out of the house, made money and been ready to leave work for a bit to take care of her. That said, I'm wondering how much of this is just your DH getting what he wants. Maybe I missed something but I don't see how you working would be stressful for him. Take some time to decide what you want before you jump into either decision.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If it were me I would have a long talk with hubs and discuss our finances, see where we are at, and if the budget would allow for a 2nd child and make sure we both are ready for another child right now. If everything looks good on paper, and we were both in agreement then I would stay home and hopefully add to the family. I would also find things to do that would keep me from being bored, maybe take a class, join a healthclub/gym and work out, join a mommy/child play group, take DD and go places- like the library. You could always think about a work from home job, or maybe a part-time job that you can flex around your husband/family.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would take the job. Worse case scenario if you work a few onths and it's too much you can quit and go back to being a SAHM, but once you tell that job no there's no getting it back. Good luck!
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010