OMG! My son is at camp and a fellow camper died in a freak accident. Now I am beyond worried!

I am so sad for her family! I am also worried about how my son is feeling about it. He is tender hearted and I am worried he is having a hard time with it. But we can not call and help him through it. I just am heart broken D:

My son is 11 and this is his first real time away from home and or family.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 4:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Death is a part of life. I'm so sorry that your son lost a friend at camp. I'm glad he's with others who are going through the same thing, so that they can talk about it and process it together.
    I have no doubt that the camp is taking every precaution during this time and that your child is safe. As you said, it was a "freak accident", not something that is likely to occur again.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would take him out of camp. Death is something that needs to be explained and mourned through and I wouldn't trust the camp to do that properly.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Is there a way you can go and get your son..while I understand a lot of parents would let their children stay at the camp, that is a hard thing for any child to deal with.
    JnKsMommy

Answer by JnKsMommy at 4:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Wow, I'm sorry but that camp should be REQUIRED to let the kids call their parents so that a decision can be made whether or not they should come home. I'm actually surprised that they didn't automatically send everyone home. If I send my son to a camp, I WILL be able to get in touch with him if necessary otherwise he will not be going. I would have to say I would be going to the camp to check on my child and pulling him out if needed. Have they explained this situation?
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would go to him and see if he wanted to come home.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 4:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would be @ that camp checking on my child...Why can't you call?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would call any way. I would demand to speak with him. Then I would let him decide what he wanted. They can't really tell you no, if they did I would drive up there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• yeah no i agree id call and demand to talk to my child or jsut go up there and be like hey i want to see my kid and let him decide if he wanted to stay or go home.
    was it a close freind or just a fellow camper?
    death is something that definalty needs to be handled delicatly.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would call. They can't tell you that you can't speak to your son. This is the kind of thing where they need to make exceptions.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• How sad. I would call or go to the camp to check on your child.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 4:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010