how much should a baby weigh at nine months pregnancy?

my sister is overweight. i've read that overweight women are suppose to gain fifteen pounds during pregnancy. my sister has only gained six pounds. her doctor told her that her son weighs less than three pounds. she will be nine months pregnant soon. i was wondering how much should her baby weigh? i don't think it's normal for him to weigh so little. i'm worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, I am 30 weeks pregnant and according to the U/S I had a few days ago (which admittedly can be off) my son was 3 1/2 pounds. I think 3 pounds for a full term or nearly full term baby is really low. Is her doctor worried?

Like I said, the U/S can be off especially at the end of a pregnancy. Maybe that's a low estimate. Even so, 4 pounds is still small for a 35 week + baby.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• if she is nine months the baby should with a good 7lbs.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• sorry weight...
    charmd18

• how many weeks is she? if she really is almost term and the dr thinks the baby weighs 3 lbs (which is only a guess but if he thinks the baby is about 3 lbs, it's unlikely that it's 7 lbs!), i'm sure he is concerned too. i would say a healthy weight is somewhere between 5 and 10 lbs at birth. average is about 7 lbs. BUT if she still has 4 more weeks to go, baby would gain about 2 lbs in that period, if all is well. did your sister say if the dr was concerned about the baby's growth?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We need to know the exact week to really determine... almost nine months is not very helpful.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• her doctor told her not to gain weight. she isn't worried and neither is her doctor. i keep telling her it's not normal. she will be nine months pregnant in a week. i'm worried that if she goes into labor now her son will be put in the nic unit.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• by 9 months do you mean 36 weeks? or do you mean 40 weeks? a lot of people will say they are nine months when they are 36 weeks. if she is 35 weeks, and the baby weighs 3 lbs (which could be WAY off) then the baby would be about 5.5 lbs at birth, which is definitely lower than average, but many babies are born that small.
    if her baby is 3 lbs at birth, it most certainly will go in the NICU, imo, because it will be unable to regulate its body temp.
    but i think you must have some info wrong because i'm sure a dr WOULD be concerned about a 39 week pregnant woman's baby being estimated at 3 lbs....? maybe she misunderstood something, or accidentally told you something wrong?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• she's going to be 36 weeks pregnant next week. the hospital she is giving birth at has a reputation for having bad deliveries. her doctor says he will be seven pounds at birth. but she only has four more weeks and she refuses to gain weight. i'm just worried sick about my nephew.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• is she eating healthy, and when she's hungry? and getting enough protein? if she is overweight, she may not need to gain weight, it's more to do with how she's eating. many really overweight women lose during their pregnancies. i'm just trying to ease your mind. i hope all ends well :-) & that your nephew and sister are healthy
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• thanks. she doesn't eat much. her doctor told her not to gain weight. also her ass of a husband told her that if she didn't lose her baby weight he'd cheat on her again. she was gaining weight in the beginning of her pregnancy. i know she isn't gaining weight because of her husband. i just get worried because my nephew will have to suffer if she didn't gain weight because his dad's an asshole.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010