FOREVER 21 Selling maternity clothes....

So I just read that FOREVER 21 came out with a line of maternity clothes and is getting scrutinized because some people are saying that it's advertising teen pregnancy.....I think its a smart idea...there making money and not just teens shop there. I'm 24 and its kinda hard finding super cute maternity clothes, I normally have to buy a large or extra large shirt, I want to look nice when I'm pregnant, and making a line of maternity clothes is not advertising pregnancy...not getting the right education and/ or using protection and not being responsible does. What do you thing?!

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 4:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• It's called "Forever 21"...implying for older than 21 and still wanting to stay cute. I say it isn't targeted toward that and really if you are going out and getting pregnant young because you saw maternity clothes at your favorite store, it's your dumb ass fault, not the store.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think they should be able to sell whatever they'd like. I'm sorry, but teen girls aren't going to get pregnant just because Forever 21 sells maternity clothes. People will try to turn everything into an excuse. Personally, I wouldn't buy them because in the past I've experienced that their clothes aren't very good quality.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I guess I've never considered Forever 21 to be an exclusively teen store. I know many 20 somethings who shop there.
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Forever 21 is a retailer that markets to young girls. I think it's an irresponsible decision on their part.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't see a problem with Forever 21 selling maternity...it's not Baby Gap
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's supply and demand. Teens are getting pregnant everyday due to society. They are just selling to the market. If people don't like it, they should make it more abhorrent for pre-marital sex or teen sex rather than to just push contraception.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'd rather see Baby Gab selling maternity ... Baby Gap is a store for babies and related items. Forever 21's target market is young girls. I believe they're sending the wrong message.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with the the above poster. I think there are PLENTY of "super cute" options offered by maternity clothing stores like Motherhood Maternity, and in the maternity sections of larger department stores.

I think in "accommodating" a younger/primarily teenage crowd (still in high school and not married) with looking "cool or cute" while pregnant, just further eliminates any "stigma' attached to being pregnant at a young age.

Call me old fashioned, but I certainly wouldn't want to draw more attention to the fact that I was young, uneducated, unmarried and pregnant!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I wish that they sold maternity clothes when I was pregnant.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 4:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I highly doubt teenage girls are going to go to the store and say "ooh, look. They have maternity clothes! Hey, lets get preggers so we can wear it too!" And if they are dumb enough to do that, they would have gotten pregnant anyway. :-) I like the idea of cute clothes for pregnancy. I wished they had it when I was pregnant. I was 20-21, and had been married for a year when I got pregnant. It would have been nice to not have to choose either look frumpy in regular maternity clothes or go up a size in normal clothes.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010