My toddler wets the bed every night

We put my toddler to bed at night with a fresh diaper right before bed time. He doesn't have a bottle anymore at night - just a couple sips of water. Over the past week or so, he's been peeing out of his diaper and all over his clothes and sheets in the middle of the night. How do I stop this from happening? He's waking up all the time because of it (obviously!).

Thanks!

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• His liquid intake during the day must be such that his body is getting rid of it. It has been hot and humid and kids drink liquids during the day. The body holds onto the liquids so it stays hydrated during this heat and humidity. Then you add the salt in the food that helps them retain that liquid. It all has to go somewhere. I'm not saying to cut back on the liquids he is drinking, but it would make sense that the body is flushing it out during a time when it is relaxed and rejuvenating.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• How soon before bed do you limit his liquid intake? Try not giving any fluids 1 hour prior to bed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• at bedtime try putting him in the next size up diaper. Durring the day you can get away w/ the smaller ones. That did the trick for all 3 of my kids
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with getting the next size up in diapers. Works every time with my kids.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, go up a size in diapers. Don't limit his liquids, during a hot summer he needs them.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 5:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Has something tramatic happened to him recently? Did you have a big move to a new place or was there something that has changed in your household?
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I always have to have water sitting by my bed at night and I always drink a little before bed. So, I (being weird) think he would feel the same way!

Yes but you will realize that you need to get up to go pee. He probably doesn't have the bladder control yet to do that.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You might also try an overnight diaper (HUggies makes one) or an overnight pull up. We found this worked better than going a size up on diaper at night but it depends on your child. I found that the larger diaper was harder to get tight on our son.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We go through spurts too where this happens with my daughter. I've noticed that sometimes it's the brand of diaper I use that makes the difference. Also, I always make it a point to make sure she has a fresh diaper before I go to bed (which is several hours after she goes to bed) that way, cutting down on the amount of wetness one diaper has to hold until morning.
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 12:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2010