USDA official Shirley Sherrod resigned after racist actions - Do you think it was fitting for her to step down?

Shirley Sherrod is a USDA official and didn't help a white farmer in need due to racial issues. After speaking at an NAACP event, she was scrutinized for her words and says she was forced to resign.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/19/clip-shows-usda-official-admitting-withheld-help-white-farmer/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20011099-503544.html

Here's the video link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNWw7TGkjo
(personally, I can't believe that the audience is laughing when she speaks of helping this farmer...a bit! Shame on these people!!!)

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 4:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• thundernlight

Comment by thundernlight (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Definitely appropriate for her to step down!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, I think it was appropriate for the White House to demand her resignation! She's only "back=peddling" because she was caught! I don;t care if it was 20+ years ago...the message is still damaging, and I don;t the ink the White House can afford any more liabilities!!

I'm a firm believer that the person you are when you don't know you are being recorded/watched is the REAL you!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Because he was taking a long time to speak to her, she thinks he was acting SUPERIOR? she has a chunk on her shoulder!
    thundernlight

Comment by thundernlight (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No, as more is coming out I don't think she needed to step down. I would like to see the whole speech before firming my thoughts, but what I see now doesn't make me want to go for her throat. Sherood says the rest of the speech includes that she realized she was wrong and went back and helped the farmer for two years to save his farm and she's friends with the family. It sounds like she was talking about how discrimination is wrong, regardless of colour, and expressing how she came to those views while admitting her own errors. The farmer's wife has come forward to confirm her story, saying that Sherood worked tirelessly to help save their farm and she considers her a "friend for life."   I think she was pushed out because of political pressure.

http://www.ajc.com/news/farmers-wife-says-fired-574027.html
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 5:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, obviously an idiot.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It was fitting for her to step down, but I'm glad God was at work with her and the farmer and the two of them are now determined to be friends and respectable to each other. It will be interesting to see how the story continues to unfold, considering she is on CNN saying something completely different from what was released from Vilsack and the WH. The story reeks of a setup.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• This is a perfect EXAMPLE THAT FOX NEWS IS FULL OF SHIT!

This video is from 24 years ago..and there was MORE to her speech ABOUT THE INCIDENT...and guess what else? Not only DID she help the farmer, she, he and his wife became FRIENDS.....

and FOX KNOWS this but will only give you HALF a SLANTED STORY....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• After seeing the whole story on Fox ,

Fox believes she should NOT have been fired, and I agree.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• So then the White House takes orders from Fox? If it was just Fox being "full of shit", then why did the White house practically force her resignation?
    thundernlight

Comment by thundernlight (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010