Appropriate Public Discipline

Last week my son and I were at an aquarium out of state on vacation. He was "amped up" - running into people, talking loudly, jumping around, etc. I had REPEATLY, quietly asked him to stop, slow down, quit running into people. After about the tenth time, I took him by the arm and led him out of the quieted dislay area and told him he had better calm down or I was "taking him outside". About this time a woman runs out of no where very loudly telling me that I "better not hit that boy". I was so shocked that I just kept telling her to get away from me and mind her own business. She then began to yell for security and yelled that I was beating my son (whom I had not layed a hand on). What could I have done differently or have we become a society that thinks it is okay to tell other parents - who obviously don't pay $30 a person to beat their children in public - how to raise their children?

trentonsmommie

Asked by trentonsmommie at 4:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• The woman was a wackado! I would have done the same thing.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i think you did fine. it was just a nosy woman that had no right to say anything.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would have probably told her the same thing. Just because you told him you were "taking him outside" didn't mean you were going to beat him. I think she overstepped her boundaries.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You did nothing wrong. This woman obviously has a problem. I would have said, call security and I will let them you are harassing me as I am not beating my child and I'm sure they have the security cameras to prove it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• that's not all i probably would have done ....just kidding lol
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 4:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You did just fine. What could have been done better? You could have chosen not to respond to her. She was wrong to run her mouth in the first place, but when you engaged her you only escalated the situation.
    And, on behalf of all of the other people there THANK YOU for disciplining your son and not allowing him to run wild and disturb others!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Appropriateness depends on the age of the child and the circumstances. You weren't wrong in the way you disciplined your child. The random person who felt the need to cause trouble had no right to interfere. She knows nothings about you or your child. Just like anything, things aren't always what they seem to be and there are two sides to every story. You are in the best position to determine what the appropriate punishment for your child is. It's your right as a parent to rear your child in a manner you see appropriate. The important thing is that your child is understanding right from wrong and is learning how to behave in public. It is unimportant what other people think since our children are the result of what we teach them.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• She was out of line. A good way to diacipline is to do the same thing in public as you do behind closed doors. Some people just can't mind their own business and feel the need to try and push themselves and their views on others. You did nothing wrong.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• surprise minishe had no right to speak to you like that!!

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 4:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You should have called security and asked them to remove the crazy woman who was terrifying your child. Discipline should be no different in public or at home, and what other people think really is irrelevant. If someone is that stupid to stick their nose into it and tell you how it should be done, the world is better off that they don't have kids (which 9 times out of 10, they don't).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010