Would you risk you job?

Okay we all know bout the big oil spill and we've heard of those mine explosions in Virgina. There's tons of this that happen quiet a lot that everyone doesn't hear about. Like here In Washington an oil refinery exploded, 5 lives lost.
Most of this are caused by negligence. Either the routine maintenance wasn't done or it was half fast done. Or they skip the yearly check and so on.
My point is if you worked for any job that is a high risk job and you knew they were be negligence, would you report them? Would you risk your job to save dozen if not hundreds of lives and save the family and friends from being heart broken. Or would you just stand behind your job and continue working knowing that lives are at stake but you need the money.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i would report it. i would also be putting my own life in more danger by not reporting.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• There's a term for what you're describing...it's called being a "Whistle Blower!" A Whistle-Blower is not a highly regarded employee, and they are viewed as a traitor or liability--because they stand to cost the company lots of money in fines and lost business. This is especially true among companies backed by unions. Granted they are often hostile work environments, but if you want to keep your job, you learn not to say anything.

It's a personal choice, and not one that I would make. I wouldn;t continue to work for a company that endangered my life or the life of others.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with the other poster. I'd report it also. I can find another job, not another life. Or the lives of anyone else who may get hurt or killed.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's one thing to be negligent, it's another to do something intentionally knowing it would cause harm. Being apart of such a large company, its uncertain whether each employee would be aware of what is going on in other departments of the corporation. If I am taking part in causing harm to others, it would be my moral duty to quit. Now as far as knowing about wrongdoing and not doing anything about it, would be something that person would have to live with on thier conscience. If you tell someone of what is being done and how it is harming others and you are fired, you can sue and would be entitled to damages as a result of choosing between what is wrong and keeping your job.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If I knew someone was being purposely negligent yes I would report them. But I would have to know if it was intentional or accidental. Mistakes happen and yes sometimes they cost people their lives.... but that can happen in any job.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I hope I would report it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would report it. I would be a whistle-blower...a loud one.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'd like to think I'd report it. Anon if possible. I'd also like to think I'd have another job lined up!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010