Oh my! Have you priced health insurance lately?

I can't believe how high it is. I quit my job, so I can go back to school. I'll either have to pay for it through COBRA or buy it myself. I can't believe that they can quote prices like that and feel comfortable doing it! For a family of 4, the cheapest I've found is well over $300 per month. Does anybody know where I can get some reasonably priced?

Sue41

Asked by Sue41 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Lately? Honey, I've been pricing it for the past five years and still can't afford it. For me alone it was about $325.00. At work it would have been about $500.00 a month. It's really a gamble any way you look at it. I hate health insurance!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We pay about 280 a month for the 3 of us. But we have a HSA high deductible policy. Typically the higher the deductible, the lower the premium. Sorry - that's all I've got. Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• COBRA prices are typically very high. You probably won't find anything reasonable until you find another job. Even then, a lot of companies have high priced health insurance. We are very fortunate because my husband has a professional state government job and we only pay $45 a month for family coverage and it's wonderful insurance.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• WOW, we just priced it for my DH it's going to cost us $115 a month for him... And that's WITH pre-existing conditions and being a smoker... I would say you need to keep looking!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• cobra we paid 1$ an hour per paycheck.. but the insurance didnt cover any preventative care so no shots or anything.. so it was useless.. but now we have family BCBS and its 316 a month
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010