Was this enough?

I saw on the news this morning a report about a women who was breast feeding in a fast food restaurant. She had gone to the back of the dinning room after receiving her food, and started to breast feed. Shortly after the manager of the store asked her to breast feed in the bathroom. When she refused he kicked her out of the restaurant saying that it was 'indecent exposer' to breast feed in public. The woman got a lawyer and made a formal complaint to the company. She received a 'generic' apology letter. It seemed to 'be a letter that they send to anyone who complains about the quality of food ... did not address the fact that she was complaining about her treatment not the food.' Besides the letter of apology, that seemed insulting at best, the company has done nothing else for this woman. The manager was not reprimanded in any way and was not even asked to apologize to the woman. Should the company do more?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 5:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Are you sure companies can refuse service to ANYONE for ANY reason? If his reason is protected by law, then what he was doing was discriminating, and, correct me if I'm wrong, that's illegal. So, they could refuse service to a black lady just because she's black? What if that's the ONLY reason? She could sue, and she'd win. This lady could sue, she could feasibly win, and that would change things.
    She should go to the press. Local news stations LOVE stories like this. And many people would be so outraged by this, she would get that apology, the manager probably would be let go, or at least moved to a different location.
    What was she and her lawyer going after? Probably the apology. No one has the right to ask a woman to go feed her baby in a bathroom. Maybe she should go back, and get pictures of this bathroom. I bet it isn't all that clean! All kinds of germs, many could be airborne, are in there. He had no legal right.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• While I disagree entirely with the restaurant's response, it is a private business, and she has no solid reason to sue.

She does, however, have freedom of speech, and is free to protest, blog, start a letter or email campaign against the restaurant. I would encourage her to use the power of the internet to make it clear to the restaurant that their behavior is unacceptable.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If she had a lawyer and the lawyer could not get more out of them, then that is probably all the company was required to do.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• what restaurant? and no, it's not a sufficient restitution for their unlawful harassment of this mother.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• No one says HOW much of her boob was showing.

COMPLETELY IMMATERIAL.

It's not a civil right to breastfeed!

actually, it IS a protected legal right, and she can also BF ANYWHERE she and her baby legally have a right to be.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The most offensive part, the manger telling her to feed her baby in the BR. Good Lord. Let the kid eat. Who would instruct someone to go to the BR to eat? What kind of derranged person would complain about a nursing mother? Grow up and butt out!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think the manager at least needs to apologize to the woman.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• As BS as it is, any manager of a company can do that. Its their place, their rules. Yes the compnay should do more and the woman should make it more public.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No, that is not enough! Hope she takes it further! I think that it is far worse to make a BF mom go to the RR to BF, than to allow her to BF in public. If she is comfortable enough to do so, then let her be! Wonder how that manager would feel if he had to go to the RR to eat HIS meal. Or if he was forced to wait until later.....every day.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think she should contact her local Leleche club and stage a breast feeding sit in....but thats just the kinda bitch I am

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010