Dentist

At what age do babies need to see a dentist. Haileigh has 7 teeth and working on more! But her breath is horrible! Can I brush her teeth and if so with what?

jflowers

Asked by jflowers at 9:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thanks a lot ladies! I will start brushing her teeth! I feel so bad i've waited so long b/c I didn't know:( I don't send her to bed with a bottle. I feed her and then put her to bed. I was afraid of leaving her alone with a bottle just in case she choked so it never got that far. First timer can't you tell! LOL
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 11:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i took my son to the dentist when he was one, and the dentist says that you brush their teeth with water. but i guess you can use the baby toothpaste that's ok to swallow. just put a dot on the brush, not too much. the only reason why you do it this young is so they get used to it, that's all. i also asked the dentist when they're supposed to go and he said the age of 2 is when they'll actually start looking at them well, before then all they really do is count the teeth.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I called around when my daughter was 15 months. Most dentists said they wouldn't see her before 2 years, and only one said we could bring her in at 18 months.
    Rangerwife

Answer by Rangerwife at 9:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Just as the pp said, 2 is usually the youngest age at which dentist will accept them as "patients". This is because when they do actually come in, some require xrays to be taken, others, still don't like to do them so young. Not to mention, unless there is a visible problem, or pain of some sort, it is unnecessary. As for brushing, I would recommend just plain water, if your LO is not old enough for the toothpaste. (again, just as a dentist probably wouldn't see kids under 2 yrs old, that is usually the recommended age at which to start toothpaste).
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If you go into most grocery stores they have tooth paste and a little brush like thing that kinda looks like a squishy thimble. My doc said to start brush as soon as her first tooth came in.
    Tams_jade

Answer by Tams_jade at 10:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My dentist told me when I was pregnant that I should start brushing as soon as the first tooth comes in (everyday). After that, bring them to the dentist as soon as they are old enough. Also, be careful giving them a bottle in the crib at night; it can rot their teeth.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My Ped said to brush her teeth as soon as the first one came in. I got a finger brush and infants toothpaste and brush her teeth every night before bed. Ped said once a day, usually before bed was the best. You can also brush all over her mouth, tounge and inside the cheeks too. Ped said to NEVER let her fall asleep with a bottle unless it's just plain water, anything else will promote decay.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• even when my daughter had no teeth i was still told to use a face cloth and gentle wipe the gums, and once they get their first tooth you can start using a toothbrush, once my daughter got 4 teeth i started using kids toothpaste (very tiny bit) and i didnt take her to the dentist til she was 2 and then they told me to come back once a year..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I was told at night after the last bottle before bed with the infant gum cleaner
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2008