POTTY TRAINING: WON'T POOP!

My daughter just turned 3 years old. We started letting her use the potty when she was 18 months, and she has been going pee in it ever since. When we FIRST started potty training, she did poop 1 time, but hasn't since then! We just switched to Pull Ups, and she's been using the potty more since. Once in a while (especially if we're not home) she'll still pee in her Pull Up. But no matter what, if she has to poop, she asks for a diaper. I'll even put her on the potty when she does this, but she refuses to go! We've been using a special Princess chart & stickers lately whenever she goes in the potty. And before that we'd give her a penny to put in her "Potty Bank". I've tried bribing with treats, everything. HOW DO I GET MY KID TO POOP IN THE POTTY?!

kimi9507

Asked by kimi9507 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I was having the same problem but my daughter has not been in diapers during the day since we started the training process. I was having to clean her panties at least once a day for the last few months and I was frustrated with it but never let her know it. She has for the last couple weeks been going poop in the toilet. Every time she sits on the toilet to pee she will at least try to poop. When she does poop she gets excited and I will praise her. I don't give her special treats or anything like that. I think she was tired of the whole process when she pooped in her panties.Tell her she doesn't get a diaper at all. If she poops in her panties than so be it. She will get tired of the whole process and will eventually she will go.
    proudmomof2452

Answer by proudmomof2452 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think you may have to put up with some mess and make the Pull-Ups or diapers unavailable. I think given the option of in the potty or in the panties she'll make the right choice, but she may have to make the wrong choice a few times first.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• deffently out with the dippers/pull ups! I made my daughter throw away all her diappers herself when she was 2. Done the sticker chart and she wore panties even to bed. I got one of those plastic mattress covers for easy clean up. One thing i found that helped is i took a week off of work to fully potty train her. we stayed home the entire time and she ran around in just the panties only and i kept the potty chair in which ever room she was in plus any time i went to the restroom i made her go with me.
    dont let this stress you out it will come in time. Continue with the charts and praise! Keep reminding her of how neat she looks in those "big girl" panties.
    lakotajean

Answer by lakotajean at 5:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice. I think i will just do away with any type of diaper/pull up.. She's usually REALLY good about not going in her "big girl underpants". Unfortunatly I can't take a week off of work for a potty training bootcamp.. and she goes to the sitter while i am working (& by sitter i mean, 1 of her father's friends that offered to watch her but is not all that adamint about the potty). what do i do for that?!
    kimi9507

Comment by kimi9507 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010