Sleeping arrangement....

My husband is gone a lot due to being in the military, and so I have gotten into the habit of sharing my bed with my son. He is still really young but my mom tells me that I'm going to spoil him and that I shouldn't let him sleep with me. Is this really going to confuse him, or will he be able to transition to sleeping in his own bed when he is bigger?

Asked by 1and1make3 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out the CIO alternatives group or some of my journals : ) I am a big advocate for co-sleeping. It is a wonderful bonding experience that most of the world uses. For some reason western cultures have it in their mind that being bonded to your child is a bad thing. There are many ways to get a child into their own bed, either in their own room or in your room, by the time they are 2-3. Sleeping with babies is a wonderful way to encourage breastfeeding, to lower the risk of SIDS (as long as you follow asfe sleeping practices) and to keep you alert to your baby's needs. You cannot 'spoil' a baby, no matter how hard you try. That doesn't come till they are more than two or three years old.

Answer by sapient at 10:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Well I think it will cause problems when your hubby is home and wants alone time. One more thing with that is when they sleep with you, you have to be quiet or can't really do what you like in your romm b/c they are in there sleeping. My daughter goes to bed at 9:30pm..I don't..if she was in my room I would have to tip toe around her be careful not to wake her. I'm not doing that.

Answer by lnicole at 10:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I think it will be hard since that will be his place until Daddy get home. It is going to be an adjustment when his father returns anyway and I think that will make it harder on him to adjust.

Answer by manna1qd at 10:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• my kids both coslept. what you do is get one of those cosleeper things that hang on your bed and that way they won't fall out the bed. then you are good to go. when its time to transition to a big kid bed, you let him help with all the decisions. how i did it with both mine, (not that i'm an expert) is that i put them in bed, laid down wiht them and read them a story...a long story like harry potter. then the next week i sat on the floor let them hold my hand, and read aloud. then the next week i sat on the floor and read. it worked for us. my son will still get in my bed at night if he wakes up and gets scared but by the time that happens i finished with the hubby good luck.
    and btw, it is impossible to spoil a baby.

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Lol I went through the same thing with my son!! He slept with me until he was 5 and then his little brother came, who then took his place in the middle and he was forced to the end of the bed. Well needless to say a couple nights of our feet waking him up throughout the night he was ready to go to his "big boy bed" :)....
    I did not however carry the tradition on to my now 10 month old, about 3 months of sleeping with me (during breast feeding) and 5 months of the pack and play right next to my bed he now lays down in his crib at night wide awake, and falls to sleep without a fuss! What a wonderful thing!!
    When your husband comes home, one way to get you and him time would be to let your child fall asleep in your bed and then just move him to his. I don't know if my 5 year old would still be sleeping with us had his brother not come along, but I do know that it sure is nice to have my space back!!
    On the spoiling issue, I totally think it is possible!! :)

Answer by tlsteinbeck at 12:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I put the bassenet right next to my bed starting out then after 3 months moved it across the room. Later I changed it to my son's room.

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Cosleeping is an intesely personal, family decision.
    We cosleep, and have since D was born. We intend to cosleep with any more children also. Since we knew we wanted to cosleep, we purchased an Eastern/Standard King bed, and one that is really low to the ground. Our son (who is 3) has his own bed, in his own room, that is exactly like ours except twin sized. He usually goes to sleep in his own room now, and comes to our bed in the middle of the night.
    I am a big advocate of cosleeping/family bed, and think that you should discuss whether you want to continue the practice w/ your husband. If the two of you agree that you want to cosleep, simply tell your mother that while you appreciate her advice, you and your husband have made a decision to do things your own way.
    Good luck!

Answer by DeylansMama at 3:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• That is a choice that is up to you and your husband to make, not anyone else.

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 12:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My DD slept in my bed from day around 7 months i started transitioning her into her bed slowly. Id rock her to sleep and put her in her crib, she'd sleep for about 3-4 hours and then sleep with me the rest of the night. Around 8 months she was sleeping in her bed for 6 hours.

Now at 10 months DD sleeps in her bed for the entire night, no problem. If she wakes up I let her lay with me in bed and nurse, then it's back to her crib. (it is in our room)She does get up around 7AM and sleeps with me until 9AM.

We had no problem with transitioning her into her crib.

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 12:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2008