Need suggestions for books to read to 6yo DD

I'm looking for suggestions on books that i can read to my 6yr old DD. I'm mostly looking for something that I can read a couple of chapters every night, yet it has to be exciting enough to make her want to find out what happens the next night. Someone mentioned Pinnochio, any other suggestions? We read smaller books at night, but it's always the types of books that are over in 5-10 minutes when I read them. We're looking for books that we can carry from night-to-night.
Thanks in advance!

mama2br00ke

Asked by mama2br00ke at 5:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Little House on the Prairie books
    James and the Giant Peach
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    Alice in Wonder Land
    A Little Princess
    Little Women
    Nancy Drew books
    Animal Ark books (I'm not crazy about these, but my older daughter loved them, and now my 3 year old daughter loves them)
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Dr Seuss books are always great
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sorry hit enter before I was finished. Disney has books where they are like 70 pages and they are like Lion King, 101 Dalmatians etc. you can read a few pages a night because those books go into full detain like the movies.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Read her the Harry Potter books. My daughter is 5 1/2 and loves them. We're almost done with the 2nd one.
    There are a couple of chapter Eloise books. Those are pretty good too.
    Little Women is good. My sister liked that when I read it to her when she was 6 or 7 and has read it herself twioce. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My oldest loves these fairy books. The ones she is reading right now are The Weather Fairies. They are by Rainbow Magic and you can find them through Scholastic and I have seen them at Walden books/borders. They are pretty exciting.
    proudmomof2452

Answer by proudmomof2452 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Peter Pan

LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 8:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Check out the Junie B Jones or the Ramona books! Very funny!
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My daughter likes the Junie B Jones books and Magic Tree House series. I can usually read a few chapters a night and they are funny and interesting.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Anything by Beverly Cleary ,my sister reads Little House on the Prairie to my 6yo niece, charolettes web (and afterwards you can watch the movie), Magictree house books, The Cricket in Times square.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010