Does all this sound okay for my little one?

Hi,

As a first time mom, I'm looking for some reassurance that our 1 year old is "normal" (I know there's a lot of variation in development). She's petite, in the 5th percentile for weight. My husband and I are both small so I never expected we'd have giants. :) She has one tooth so far, which has made it difficult for her to experiment with a variety of foods. Some days she shows more interest in solids than others, but loves oatmeal, bananas, yogurt and sweet potatoes. I've tried noodles, melted cheese on bread, and a slew of other foods, but she's strong-willed and she eats what she wants. She loves to nurse and despite my wanting to stop, she apparently does not. She can drink from a sippy cup but doesn't love to. She is super verbal and has this amazing ability to imitiate sounds, says 9 words, which is interesting since she's being raised multilingual. Not walking yet, and still waking between 1 and 3 times at nigh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She sounds just fine! She's doing really well, and so are you.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• the only thing i can think to do is ask her doctor. about the food thing, that's cool! I used to make my own baby food. when she starts teething, give her those hard cookies that you find in coffee shops. i don't know how to spell them but they start with b. my kids loved them, also pizza crust. as for sippy cups, have you seen what they call belly busters? they are full of apple juice and have a cartoon on top? tummy ticklers is another name for them. it depends on the store.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• your doing the best & your daughter is doing just fine it is better then nothing & your doing nothing wrong
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Absolutely normal. All of mine (I have 3) were so very different! I have an over achiever, a mischievous/strong willed, and one that is smart as a whip, but completely lazy- never in a hurry to do anything... Every child is different.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• shes very normal. if you are really wanting to stop breastfeeding wic can give you tips on making it easier for her but i would continue untill she is ready to stop.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• She sounds normal to me.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sounds totally normal to me! As for the weaning, consider waiting a bit, especially if you are a bit concerned about her size and how much solids she can/will eat yet. Some kids don't really start to eat a lot until closer to 18 months. Check out the info at Nursing After the First Year

and

Breastfeed a Toddler - Why on Earth?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You know babies dont really use their teeth much for chewing food when they are so young. You would be suprised how they are able to gum the heck out of things!!!Just cut it up in sm bite sizes and let her go to town!
    Anonymous

• My baby is slender and petite, freakishly strong and is a climber at 10 months old. she has no teeth and has no trouble gumming food. she self feeds...and that is important. I never even bought a baby spoon. fibers or normal preloaded spoon. she gets mad if pieces are too small She wakes at night to nurse.

normal is a spectrum.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sounds like a 1 year old to me. Of course every baby is different, so remember this. As long as baby is thriving, and happy, there is nothing to worry about. If the doctor mentions something, then you could worry, but I wouldn't. It sounds like your baby knows waht she likes and it content to keep it that way. If she is still nursing, she might be waking up, but that will go away eventually.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2010