do you make your kids eat there vegtable/ all there food at dinner?

or as long as they try it , its ok with you?
IMO if a kid doesnt like something they dont like it. and depending on how stubborn that child is. if u make them sit there untill its all gone they will sit there all night long. so there no use in butting heads. we all have different taste. so to me as long as they try it its ok.

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 5:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, she's required to have at least 2 bites of everything on her plate. If after 2 bites she chooses not to have any more, that's fine.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My son is 2-1/2 - we are trying to start the "this is what is for dinner, I will not make you a seperate dinner" he has to at least try it - if he gag's then yes, he can have something else or eat whatever else is on his plate. Last night he didn't eat his hot dogs for dinner so he didn't get a snack - I am sure I will fail at this numerous times but this is the plan
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Rule in my house is that you eat what is cooked, or you don't eat. Plain and simple. I DO NOT have picky eaters... Nor was I picky, food is food, you don't always get what you "Like" all of the time... Sheesh.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i agree. they should at least try it. i dont like vegetables, so if they really dont like it, then they dont like it. however, i know some moms whos kid refuse to eat anything but hot dogs and french fries and there just like whatever! i cant force them. thats not okay with me, kids need nutrition, they cant eat nasty processed shit all the time. if they dont like vegtables, they need to eat chicken or turkey, or whole grains, whatever.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Mine has to eat at least a few bites. I was made to finish my plate no matter what at all cost and it did me no good. I believe I am fat now because I was forced to eat beyond capacity too many damn times. I also don't believe in letting the kid only eat what they want and nothing else either, so, at least a bite or two is good.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Have the child at least try the veggies. I do not make my daughter eat EVERYTHING on her plate, I do not want to encourage over eating. She knows when she is full and I know when I feel she has had enough to eat.
    MommyTsCafe

Answer by MommyTsCafe at 5:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• aww hang in there maxsmom!
    unfortunatly for us we have to make atleast two seperate dinners if not three. my sons allerigc to dairy and eggs and tomatoes so i have to make him his own meal depending on what we eat/. and sometimes ill make something that i know my DS wont eat so ill make her something seperate too. like everyone will have the chicken but we will all have different sides
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My son is also allergic to dairy / lactose intolerant and I know there is more but they won't test him at his age because its not life threatening reactions - so I try to make our meals family friendly too so we don't get bored and they aren't TOO grown up either where he'd just gringe.. he has texture issues so I've found a lot of things make him gag :( I am not planning on getting TOO strict about it though.. that is a battle I don't really want to fight- we are just trying to start our healthy as a family and take each stage as it comes !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We have a rule for dinner. If you don't like what I made take three bites of everything. Then make yourself a peanut butter sandwich.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 6:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• At dinner, literally 20 minutes ago, my 3 year old declared that she no longer likes chicken or broccoli (which she normally gobbles down), therefor, she's not eating it. She only wanted the parmesan noodles on her plate. So I said fine, if all you eat is the noodles and you're hungry in an hour, you can have your chicken and broccoli. i don't expect her to eat every single bite every meal, but I do expect her to eat some. So she decided on eating her food now rather than having it for a "snack" later.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2010