If you got induced... why? and what were your thoughts of it?

MDT09

Asked by MDT09 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was induced 6 days earlty with our frist. There was really no reason for it. It was july in the south and doc told me he wanted me at the hospital that evening after my appointment to "get things started". I said ok, not really knowing what I was in for. I regret it to this day and he's 9 years old now. I had so many complications becasue of it. Not only was I induced but I had to have forceps used to push him back up cause when I pusehd the first time his head turned and he was coming out ear first. After that the doc used a vac cap on him and was pulling when I wasn't pushing or having a contraction. Plus I needed to have an epesiotomy. I hemoragghed SEVERELY afterwards. I got to hold my baby long enough to give him a quick hug and kiss when he was 40 mins old then not again till he was almost 6 hours old.

With our 5 yr old and 8 moth old I went ALL natural. No pain meds NOTHING. I didnt' have one complication.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 2:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• #2 was induced because I was overdue, #1 was a very big baby, and my BP was on the rise. It was my choice. #4 was induced at 39 weeks for medical reasons - my choice, but my midwife was not against it. #5 was partially induced - I was in labor for over a week without progressing, and term. I had no problems with it, I was definitely advised of what *could* go wrong, but nothing ever did - and like I said, it was more my choice to do it.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I was strep b positive and they induced me with my second child at 38 weeks, so that they could start my antibiotics before labor. Good thing because they started my labor at 8:30 and she was here by 11am!
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've been induced for both my labors (late and in distress).

For me, things went really smoothly both times, I was able to get my epidural early, and once active labor started, it was all fast and easy.

I guess my girl was okay, but my boy was definitely in trouble (trying to breath in amniotic fluid) and I'm glad they were able to get him out in a fast -non-c-section way. He got the treatment he needed, and is healthy and strong little infant now.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I was induced with all 3 of mine. With my first, she was really tiny. I had IUGR and the MD thought she would grow better outside. I had a very healthy 3lb 11oz baby girl born at 37weeks and 6 days. With my second, she was tiny as well. They were going to induce at 38 weeks, but her cord stopped working. Her heart wasn't being allowed to take over and we ran the risk of losing her. I got 2 of 4 doses of Cytotec and she was born. Another tiny little girl. 3lbs 3oz born at 34weeks 6days. With my 3rd, he was on the smaller side, but wasn't in what my MD calls the danger zone so we were going to let him come naturally. However, his fluid levels dropped to a dangerous level and quickly, so they induced. This time I only needed one dose of Cytotec. He was a healthy 5lbs 7oz born at 37weeks 3days. After 3 inductions that all went very smoothly, I'm actually scared to think about going into labor on my own.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I went overdue with my first baby and was going to the doctor the next day to talk about being induced when I went into labor on my own in the middle of the night. I went overdue again with my second and showed no real signs of going into labor on my own. My feelings on inducing are that every mother does what she feels is best.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I was induced because I was past due, never dilated past a 3 and my baby was struggling. I ended up having a c-section to get her out. I did go into labor on my own, but when I did not dilate enough, they put me on a pitocin drip to keep me in labor. When it didn't happen, they went in to get her. I honestly did not want it to go that way, but it was necessary for her health, so it was okay with me.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I was induced with all 3 of my deliveries. 2 of them were medically necessary, my most current one was a selective induction. I think a woman/father if involved and the doctor can make a decision as long as baby is healthy. I don't have a medical reason for mine, but I was at the verge of depression, stressed, mentally and emotionally I just couldn't function anymore so I asked for it, but I also wanted to make sure I wasn't putting the baby at risk in any way, shape or form. Looking back if I had to do all over again I would have toughed it out, having a baby by induction at age 22 and 30 is a whole lot different, it just seem that my body didn't take to the pitocin, the contractions felt 100X stronger! Next time I am going to try to let my body go through the process naturally (I am going to TRY!)

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i was induced this last time at 39 weeks, and honestly it was merly just so my husband could see his little girl before he deployed overseas. she wasnt in distress or anything. turns out his flight was pushed back like two weeks. had i of known then what i know now i would of waited till she wanted to come or 40 weeks.i always have the what if's in my head. like what if i had waited would my labor of been so damn hard? she came out Ear up,face sideways. she kept getting stuck on my pelvic bone and now has a bent in her forehead when she wrinkles her face you can see it prodominatly. i dont know if its going to go away. i hope it does.
    altho i al glade my husband got the extra week with her since hes not gone and shes a month old. but still. to me being induced was worse. i had not only the pitocin,but and iv bag,a BP cuff,two external monitors,one internal monitor,an epideral,a catheter,and an oxygen mask hooked up to me.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I got induced at almost 42 weeks because my amniotic fluid level was low. I didn't want to get induced but i'm glad they did becausemy son was 10 lbs 8 oz. The midwife said that if they knew he would be that big, they would have done csection. That's really big for a first baby. I'm glad i didn't know he was that big too! Ultrasound tech said about 7 lbs. lol
    yevsgirl

Answer by yevsgirl at 6:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010