how do you feel about the commandments?

the 10 commandments were set back in the old testament by god so we should follow them right?

i feel like sometimes in our day and age that Christians feel like they do not apply to us because they say "times have changed" that the bible was written o many years ago for it to apply to us today. or that we are not Jewish so we dont need to follow them.

what is your view on this?
im curious how other see it

londamg

Asked by londamg at 6:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It's amusing to watch people ignoring the one about not having graven images... do photos count? What about coinage (the Coptic Christians believe it is specifically prohibited!)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with the 10 Commandments - they still apply and always will... killing? No! Lying? No! Cheating? No!, etc. Those things are still relevant today and are still wrong. I have to give the Commandments 2 thumbs up! Am I a sinner? Of course, I am - just like everyone else, but I do try to follow the Commandments so that I can be a better person and a better witness.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• They only apply to those who wish to be bound to them. Simple as that. Every single person interprets them differently.

I do not believe that they apply, period. I do not need some spook in the sky telling me that it's wrong to kill someone, or to steal, or sleep with my best friends SO- that is common sense, regard for our fellow man... *eyeroll*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'm not religious. I don't follow them as commandments. I think most of them are a good thing though. People shouldn't kill, cheat, steal, they should respect people who earn it.
    I do what I do because it feels right to me. Not because someone I don't beleive in tells me to. It just so hapens that most of them are the right things to do.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i did post this in the religious section didnt i? LOL
    londamg

Comment by londamg (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• #1 - 4 are not applicable since I'm an atheist.

# 5 is only applicable to good parents.  Abusive parents need not apply.

# 6 - 10 are good morals that are basically inherent in most human beings.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well the religious debate section to be exact. some of the commandments are kind of fuzzy. Does "thou shalt not have any other gods before me" mean other gods exist?? For the most part they are common sense.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I love them. As far as people saying that times have changed, they have. We are under a new covenant now so they one about keeping the Sabbath holy is no longer required.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 6:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The religious DEBATE section.

I find them to mostly be common sense subjects which anyone can follow without belief in a deity. It's all encompassed in having respect and regards for your fellow man/woman. Except the first 4 which are rather frivolous and repetitive.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• "I love them. As far as people saying that times have changed, they have. We are under a new covenant now so they one about keeping the Sabbath holy is no longer required. "

how dose this one not count but the others do? then it would be the 9 commandments not 10
    londamg

Comment by londamg (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010