What does everyone think of 2nd & 3rd babyshowers?

My sister in law is having her third baby shower in 5 years. She has two boys and this is a girl but I am super offended and totally upset. I mean really, another full fledged baby shower? I also have a friend throwing her 2nd shower, her daughter is 1 and a couple months and she is registared at 2 stores. She is going to have another girl too. Which to me makes it worse. These are not "diaper showers" these are baby showers. I mean does this bother others? It is eating at me, O find it of bad taste and plain rude! Can I get some comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think 3rd baby showers are extremely tacky. A 2nd baby shower I can 1/2 understand IF the gender is different, otherwise... tacky. When my 2nd is born (whenever that may be) we'll have a get-together at our house to meet the baby and that will be all, no showers.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• you won't like mine! i think its fine and dandy to shower each baby, even if you have 12 kids! and if other people are throwing the showers for the mothers, who's business is it of anyone? you don't have to attend or purchase any gift..you're not obligated.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i NEVER threw my own baby shower. i have had 3, 1 for each child. and my family throws them.and for most people friends and family throw the shower not the person having the baby! i would feel like an ass throwing my own shower and i just wouldnt do it but if my family wants to im not going to stop them. your are not expected to bring a gift. go to it and have fun. no one will be offended if there isnt a gift from you on the table.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• she should have skipped the second BOY baby shower since she should have still had things for a boy. its reasonable to have another shower if you have a differeent sex child
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• sorry but I agree with dullscissors on this one. If you don't want to give anything, that's fine, don't attend. But what's it matter to you if others want to show their love for the mom and new baby with gifts. A baby shower is for the baby!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If someone wants to throw a mom a shower, I think it is fine, no matter how many children or showers she has had previously. With each new child come new needs - not everything can be a hand-me-down. If you are so offended, send a card and wish your sister-in-law the best with her new child. It won't do anything to foster your relationship with her, but she will sure know how you feel about her and her shower.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• my friends had 2 showers when my first was on her way.
    then friends threw me another when i was expecting my third...but it had been 5+ yrs. and we did not have a lick of baby things, clothes etc.
    no shower for my fourth...my youngest two are only a year apart...just used the leftovers...LOL!

that many showers in five years? a little extreme...and you are not obligated to purchase anything. make a homemade card or something with a nice verse and well wishes. ))(shrugs)((
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 6:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it's a bit much also, if people want to get a gift they will. I would love to buy a big gift for every baby that's born,but unfortunately I simply can't afford it. Some people say, don't go or don't buy a gift but I want to be supportive and I feel like more of an ass for not attending or buying a gift.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• with the first one, I can understand the baby shower this time because of it being a different gender. but the second one..? come on now.....
    rocker_mommy_08

Answer by rocker_mommy_08 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• having showers for each baby is happening more and more
    I see no problem with it, babies are expensive and I like the idea of a party for each one.

I got a teething ring for a dollar for a girl I worked with- I'm sure there are ways to attend and bring some kind of gift.

why does this offend you?
    my SIL may drive me nuts, but she gave me 2 nieces that I cherish greatly and I make no apologies for it! so I was thrilled to hear of the baby showers.

pick your battles. It's just a party- what's the big deal?
    Anonymous