JOB APP QUESTION

K, im applying for a job with my counties DSS. I need to state why i left a previous employer. I basically never returned after maternity leave (this is not my most current job, its a job from over a year ago. Ive been working where i am now, have had 2 reviews and a raise (yay)...so how do i state why i didnt return. I didnt have child care, and didnt really HAVE to go back at the time?! I was a full time student....any help will be apreciated! I want this job pretty bad!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• You made the decision to stay with your baby. You started your next job once you felt your baby was big enough.
    It won't really hurt you since you've worked at the same place since then for a while. Just be honest. Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Be honest - state that you left your previous position to raise your family and then to return to school.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i'm in the same boat. but the place i worked went belly up after my kid was born. i just went threw a class about getting a job and the teacher told me to say, i had problems with child care then, but now everything is in order. but since you were a student tell them that you didn't have the right kind of support to juggle a job, newborn and be a full time student at the same time. if the person has kids, then they will know all about it! plus you were a new mom to boot!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Just let them know at the time the best option for your family was for you to stay at home with your infant
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 6:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You were a new mother and you were finishing your education. Don't drag it out.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with neebug. I have been the personnel director for major companies. I have seen all kinds of crazy answers. Just be honest and say that you had a priority to rear your family, yourself. BUT, be careful, the company you did NOT go back to work for, without notice, will probably say you quit, that you failed to report for work, etc. It is a very fine line that old employers walk with what information they can give out. Ticking the box saying you will not allow your (hopeful) employer to contact your old employers is a HUGE red flag. Good luck.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 7:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Since you haven't left your current job, I would say I haven't left my job but am looking forward to acquiring a job where I can better use my education and have an opportunity for advancement. I don't think they are asking if you have ever left a job and why. I wouldn't tell them anything about the previous job you had that you left unless it comes up in an interview where can verbally explain your reasoning. By then hopefully you will have the time to figure out positive answer. Plus you can always say you were a student during that time. Good Luck! I hope you get it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 6:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Thanks for all your help ladies!! Hopefully the dont read it on the app and put it aside!! UGG this is so nerve racking! Wish me luck!!
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Thanks joeygoat, I dont mind if they call. I did work there, i didnt miss much work. They kinda kinda screwed me but i dont know im hoping its been long enough and my reviews from this place will suffice!!
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2010