Am I the only one who finds this frightening?

That a woman could be convinced by the medical community that "failure to progress" is a medical emergency, and requires a c-section?

I would have had 3 c-sections if this were true... the SHORTEST labor I had was 36 hours. All of my babies were happy, healthy, and pink. it is NORMAL for their HR to drop during a contraction.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 6:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• i agree with you. and the average labor time for a first time mom is about 42 hours. which means that many moms go beyond that while others are little less.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think it depends on each situation, and for the doctor to make the best interest for both mother and baby.
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• sometimes the mother is in jeopardy..? not every labor is textbook, and not every female body can endure a 'short' labor of 36 hrs. just sayin..idk, i'm a hairstylist, not an ob/surgeon.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• but at what point does a dropped heart become too much of a risk? just wondering ?
    i seriously thought last labor and delivery i would need a c section cause she jsut didnt want to come out! eventually she did. ear up first!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My husband and I have strong medical backgrounds, including my being a paramedic for 8 years in the Boston area. And my husband and I had a birth plan--with the plan of going med free, and we knew all of our options. What we COULDN'T plan on was my amniotic fluid becoming dangerously low, and the need to be induced immediately (I was 39 weeks). They ALMOST decided to do a c-section when I ceased to dilate. Because the pitocin made me loopy and exhausted--I ended up passing out at one point, and when I did, I fully dilated, and delivered my older son about 40 minutes after waking up!

So no matter HOW INFORMED and PREPARED you are, sometimes your child has a different plan in mind! And I'm not about to start arguing with the doctors at a critical stage such as childbirth! I FULLY trusted my doctors and midwives, if I didn't I would have found others. My husband was my voice, and looked after me and our boys!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Women are so judgemental. I am guilty of it too. Before I had my son I researched EVERYTHING. I had a three page birth plan and copies for the nurses, I had found a Dr. who supported me. I had rehearsed lines over and over about how I would respond to being told to have a C-section, my bp specifically requested that nobody offer me drugs. Guess what? I never went into real labor. Contractions I couldnt feel, no dialating and a baby who was almost 2 weeks late with close to ZERO fluid.
    We went through all the options first, induction, replacing the fluid, waiting it out, etc. but heres the bottom line. My Dr. left the decision 100% up to me but had tears in his eyes when he told me he was suggesting the C-section. I opted for it because the cahnces of me needing an emergency C section at that point were around 85%. Get off your high horse, at the end of the day a Mother does whatever it takes. We are alive thnxs 2 it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Doctors usually DON'T have mom and baby's best interest in mind when they are recommending a C-section for FTP, though. Usually they have hospital and insurance protocols in mind and their bottom line and avoiding a lawsuit in mind.

I am in 100% agreement, Obby, each situation needs to be taken in perspective and there should be NO routine protocol, because each woman and each labor is different.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We do have a lot more C-sec in this country then others, but I'm not a risk taker, if there is a chance of a problem I want to take the safest route, whether that's a vaginal delivery or a C-sec, and I don't know when it's a real concern and just the doctors worried about being liable.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• So no matter HOW INFORMED and PREPARED you are, sometimes your child has a different plan in mind! And I'm not about to start arguing with the doctors at a critical stage such as childbirth! I FULLY trusted my doctors and midwives, if I didn't I would have found others. My husband was my voice, and looked after me and our boys!!! "

Exactly.

Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I found an excellent doctor and took all of his advice. I had to have a c section, but it was planned, and necessary. Still, women on here tried to tell me not to, as if they knew more than the doctor. Without it, we both would have died. Not only that, but I LOVED my c-section. I won't mind at all if I have to have one again.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Really, is it anyone else's business how a woman gives birth? As long as the baby is born healthy, does it affect your life in any way shape or form? I personally am more concerned about the babies that aren't given a chance to BE born ( ie abortion) rather than the number of supposed unecessary c-sections being performed.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2010