How do you feel about this?

Do you raise your children to follow the same religious beliefs (or lack thereof) that you do? If so, does it ever concern you that they may find a different path someday? How do you think you will handle it if they do?

I saw this on a group post and found it very interesting, wondering what people might think. I don't believe in any kind of typical 'religion or belief'. I believe in magic and faeries. That is what I study and follow. I will not try to teach any belief to my son, so that he can choose what he is interested in someday without trying to be pushed into it.

wenona_mandy

Asked by wenona_mandy at 6:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, we are Catholic but we don't go to church which I know is bad. My sons do go to religion classes and made their communions and older one make his confirmation last spring. I have them do this because my husband and I were raised doing this. When t hey are older they can do what they want.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• it's been asked a lot on here lately.

I do not raise my child in any religion, nor do i share my beliefs. They are not old enough to understand the implications... Until they are, exposure will be excessively limited.
    all I can do is hope that they are intelligent enough to steep clear of organized religion, but that is their decision, I will not support it- but I will not stand in their way either.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• hmmm well i believe in god, and heaven, i believe in praying. my kids are not old enough to full understand this but in time i will teach them what i feel is appropriate enough. if they choose to fallow something else then so be.
    my whole familys catholic but i am not.
    just like i dont go to church on a regular basis but if my kids would like to go then they can.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Do you raise your children to follow the same religious beliefs (or lack thereof) that you do? If so, does it ever concern you that they may find a different path someday? How do you think you will handle it if they do?

Yes I do.  I raise my dd to be Christian and I read the Bible to her daily.  If she chooses a different path I have faith that she will come back.  They is a scripture that tells you to train up a child the way they should go and they will not depart from it.

MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 6:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We are atheists and are raising our children without any religion at all so there is no dogma to be ingrained.  They are free to choose whatever spiritual path suits them best, but I will not allow them to be indoctrinated.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Honestly? Ok...I am more of a spiritual person than a religious person. I don't go to church regularly anymore,although my youngest daughter does. It isn't ALWAYS about just religion;they make friends. She has really become a more outgoing person since she started attending church. She is now 13 1/2;if she chooses church over staying home,that is her choice. I trust the people @ her church and I trust her to make up her own mind,and be safe at the same time.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 6:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Atheist so we don't teach any religious beliefs as it doesn't come up. I'm not worried if they choose something different when they're older nor would I particularly care unless they became off the wall fundies like the Westboro group.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• when my son is older i will share my beliefs with him, which has nothing to do with any organized religions. but i wont "teach" him anything. ill let him pick for himself.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• One of us is Catholic one is Methodist. We brought the kids up Cathoilc to first communion and taught them about Methodist religion. Confirmation had to be their choice of following the church teachings and embracing the church. They had lost interest and we did not push it. They believe in a higher power, but do not practice any religion right now.
    Anonymous

• We are atheist, and are not raising our kids with any set of religious beliefs. I am however stressing to my kids what i think are important morals and values, which are the core of my own beliefs.
    Mainly that respect for all others, this earth, all creatures, nature, etc. are of utmost importance. And that there are many, many different religious beliefs in this world and we all have to find what our own spiritual path is.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010