planning another birth with no pain meds.....what methods worked best for you?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 6:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I focused all my attention on the pain while I did the lamaze breathing. It was incredible. Instead of sitting there moaning about how bad it hurt, once I focused on what actually hurt, it was so much more tolerable. The breathing made it almost like meditation, and it went so quickly. (although next thing I knew the baby got stuck and I was rushed off for a emergent c-section :( )
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Toning. That's what got me through my Pit induced labor :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• im in good physical condition and i run on a daily basis. i mean thing that helped you relax during labor itself. i used a birthing ball with my last and it was good but i want more options this time.
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Toning isn't an exercise, it's using long, low notes, like singing, to help you stay focused and relaxed. Meditation also helped me. Being mobile is another good one (so avoid IVs and fetal monitoring). I HIGHLY recommend you find a doula. There's one for every budget!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I wanted someone to just knock me out and wake me up when it was done. I decided after my first one with no medications that I was an idiot and would accept anything they thought would make me comfortable. I had over 48 hours of labor with the first one and then over 36 with the second.

Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 6:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'd recommend something like Bradley, Lamaza, or hypnosis. I'm going to try hypnosis this time, lots of people are successful with it!
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 6:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Hypnobabies worked awsome in combo w/ my home waterbirth
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• with my first i loved the jacuzzi!!! i also shouted a lot, but the midwives called it "vocalizing"!
    with my second, i planned to use a tub again but i went into labor at 33 weeks and wasn't where i had planned to be for the birth (spent an hour and a half in an ambulance!) and i just shouted the whole time.

i am really glad that my labors were pain med free. don't have to worry about the risks, it's super exciting, less needles, no catheter, etc. congrats and gl
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• the 2nd time the nurse kept telling me to stop shouting, and my mom told me i should do the heehee hoo stuff, and i was just like "no let me shout"
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I take yoga classes and my instructor gives us rest periods where we just lay there are focus on our breathing and then she'll go over body parts for you to relax, you'd be surprised the tension you carry when you don't realize it. I used this during labor, deep breathing, relaxation, and low moaning.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2010