nasty smell coming from the kitchen

The garbage is taken out, sink in clean (clean it today because of the smell), no rotting food in fridge or outside of fridge. What the hell can it be? It's bugging the hell out of me.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Sometimes we get quite a smell from our disposal. The only thing that works is to lift the rubber flaps, that keep food from splashing back at you, and clean under them. Food gets trapped up there. I use a long meat fork to lift them and hold them up while I scrape with a disposable plastic fork or knife. Then rinse. After that I spray it with foaming bubbles and let it sit. Rinse again. Then I disinfect that meat fork!!! ;) Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• alll of the above!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would clean the drains... pour a mixture of baking soda and vinegar down the drain on both sides. ell actually I would run the hot water for a few minutes and they add the baking soda. With the water off, turn on the garbage disposal for about 5 seconds after you put the baking soda in. Then pour a three cups of white vinegar down the drain. It will foam up, but not too much. Then rinse for 2 minutes with hot water.

Another thing to check is is anything spilled under your oven or fridge. Also go through the cabinets to check for anything gross. One time my husband put a bag of potatoes in a cupboard we rarely used and I found them a few weeks later rotting. There was a weird smell and I couldn't find it...well I finally did and it was GROSS!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Do you have a disposal? That could be it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Perhaps a sewage backup in the sink..sniff around...maybe a dead rodent under the sink or something. Good Luck!!
    SarahNKnapp

Answer by SarahNKnapp at 6:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• could food have fallen between the stove and counter or gone under the fridge or stove? You may want to pull those out and clean under them
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• what kinda smell does it smell like?
    is your washer and dryer near your kitchen? could something of fallen behind it?
    is there anyway something could of fallen somewhere?
    try and sniff around and locate the area and work from there.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Maybe it's something in the refrigerator? Pour some bleach down the sink too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My sister had a can of tuna go bad last year. It took forever to find the source. It was gross. Check your cupboards or pantry for cans that may have 'popped'
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• a hiding rotten potato smells horrid (even 1 little one)!!!! - like honestly putrid! also fyi- i put good brand and good smelling kitty litter in the bottom of the trash can (it smells good and if a bag leaks it clumps and you can scoop it out and your not having to scrub the bottom of the can all the time.) um other than that.... if you have a fridge that drains underneath-usually an older one (most new ones evaporate by a heating coil though) those get to stinking and need cleaned out too. GL and if I think of anything else I will let you know....
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 6:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010