2cm and 80%

So I am 37 weeks and totally done being pregnant. The doc today told me I was 2cm dialated and 80% effaced. With my first I had no progression untill I was in labor. My sister was stuck in the situation I am in now for like 2 weeks....The question is...How many of you were somewhat dialated and effaced before labor, and how soon after you started progressing did you go into labor?

Hulkgrrl

Asked by Hulkgrrl at 6:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• those numbers mean nothing. a friend of mine was at 4 for a few wks before she delivered. all it really does to get yourself checked is to encourage infection
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• With my second pregnancy I was 2cm dilated at 35 weeks and 4cm dilated at 37 weeks. I ended up being induced at 39 weeks. But I will say I had the easiest labor. I had pitocin and no pain meds. And really only one hour of pain.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I spent a few months at 2cm, she was born at 36 weeks. Really, the numbers mean nothing like Lynette said.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• With my first I was dilated 2 cm and 50-70% effaced for a month before I went into labor [at 41 wks]...With my second I am dilated to 3 cm and 80% effaced, have been for 2 weeks [I am now 39 wks]...still waiting!
    thea11ens

Answer by thea11ens at 7:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Disregard the numbers. Ignore them, they mean nothing to you. And I would recommend avoiding all further vaginal checks, no need to disappoint yourself OR get your hopes up.

Instead of focusing on numbers and odds, focus on finding ways to get comfortable. What are your discomforts? I would be happy to try to help you find solutions.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Amen to Ati 13. Listen to her, wise words.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i agree w/ ati :) but to answer the question, with my first, i was checked at 40.5 weeks and had no "progress". well i was about .5 cm dilated. i had my son at 41 weeks. with my 2nd, i went into labor at 33 weeks. i went to the hospital and i was 1 cm so i thought, good, we can stop tihs! nope, my son was born a few hours later!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I honestly don't know where I was at any point in either of my pregnancies, I know when it mattered my body did what it was supposed to do. Checking for "progress" is pointless if not harmful. It tells you nothing, introduces a chance of infection, and can cause emotional turmoil. Trust in your body, it is progressing and it knows when it's time.

jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I found out I was exactly 2cm and 80% and then 4 days later I had him.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2010