What's the diff. between SPD syndrome/disorder & Asperger Syndrome?

I just read about kids with SPD on Cafemoms, and to me it sounds a lot like Asperger's.
It must be very challenging to raise a child with those disorders. Even autism is very difficult for parents. I've raised 3 children and it was plenty challenging, without these disorders. My youngest son had/has ADHD, and now he has multiple sclerosis as well.
What treatments are available for SPD???

Martibee

Asked by Martibee at 6:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• And each parent experiences different things with different children. and it also depends on what symptoms the child is expressing and to what degree. This is one of the reasons why ASD is called Autism Spectrum Disorder. Because there is an entire spectrum from the "Classic Autism" (symptoms include lack of eye contact and speech, hand flapping, and more) to Aspergers syndrome which is basically a very high functioning form of ASD.

It is VERY difficult to raise children like this. You've got that right.

There are lots of books you can read. The Out of Sync child was a good book. I have heard that Look Me In the Eyes as a good book to but i haven't read it. In my local area there is an organization that advocates and provides services for families of children with special needs and they have a special library where they lend books. Perhaps there is something like this were you live. Otherwise, the library is a good place.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It sounds a lot like Aspergers because ASD umbrellas over almost all other disorders. Most children with any form of ASD show symptoms of SPD because that is part of the ASD display. Instead of diagnosing a person with ADHD and SPD and bipolar and insomnia and learning disabled etc etc etc. They slap one kind of label on the kid: ASD.

SPD treatment involves sensory integration. But it depends on the type of SPD the child has.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• and ASD stands for Autism Spectrum Disorder and covers all the diagnosis of that disorder, including Aspbergers and PDD-NOS.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Thanks for all the info, "outstandingLove". Now I need to ask, What is PDD-NOS? To many initials, it's confusing my brain.
    So What treatment is available for SPD and or ASD?? Are there treatments available?? What is a parent to do to deal with
    these disorders/diseases/syndromes??? At what age is a child diagnosed?? How does a parent go about getting help and or treatment for these challenges in children??
    Raising children is hard enough without any syndrome/disorder, etc... It must take the patience of 50 saints to cope with all that is entailed in raising children with SPD/Aspbergers/Autism. What books can I read that will help to educate me about these disorders/diseases/syndromes??? I'd just like to learn more.
    Does anyone have any idea what causes it?? There's a theory that Autism is caused (possibly) by vaccinations in infants.
    Martibee

Comment by Martibee (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• What is sensory integration?
    Martibee

Comment by Martibee (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• PDD-NOS is Pervasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. What it means is that the person displays many of the ASD symptoms, but not all of them. So they can't get a "real" diagnosis of ASD, on PDD-NOS. Which also, sadly, results in less services.

Sensory integration therapy is used for people with SPD and also many times people with ASD. It's an interesting therapy where the therapist basically introduces different types of sensory to the person. Like sticking the persons full arm into sand, or maybe secluding the person to a very dark room and then to a very well lighted room. This kind of occupational therapy is very personalized for the persons sensory needs.

A parent who has a child with these disorders can get many free services in many areas. But it is still difficult. And can also still be very expensive because often times these children have other needs that are commonly found with the disorder.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• No one really knows what causes either of the disorders. But what is known is that children who have these disorders in their family are more likely to get it. As well as children who were drug exposed, or otherwise traumatized. The vaccine theory ...well, i believe it to be unfounded and i am mostly anti-vaccine. I do not believe that vaccines CAUSE ASD or SPD. But i do believe that the introduction of so many mind altering things in our community has lead to an increase in these disorders. That includes food pesticides, chemical cleaners, TV, vaccines, many modern medicines etc etc.
    Take a look at the Amish community. They have no reported cases of ASD and there is a specific scientist (although his name escapes me at the moment) who is studying that community to try to find anyone with the symptoms of ASD and also to try to find out why no one seems to have ASD.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:21 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thanks for all the info, OutstandingLove. You sound quite knowledgeable about all these conditions. If you've been dealing with these conditions for a while I imagine you would be. It's rough being the parent of a child with any type of health problems. My youngest son had acute asthma and ADHD when he was very young, and my eldest son was way to smart for his age but was not challenged enough in grade school. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to take care of all the issues involved in raising my 3 children. It's never easy. I do hope you have a good support system and plenty of help so you're not having to deal with it all alone. You are right about all the "mind altering" things, substances. None of that could possibly be beneficial to our children.
    That's interesting about the Amish not having any ASD. They're doing something right.
    Martibee

Comment by Martibee (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010