Preeclampsia?

Have you had any experience with this? If so, what were your symptoms and what was the outcome?
I've recently had swelling...only in ONE leg. I've been calling the doctors back and forth and I thought it wasn't really a big deal. I finally went on in today. My blood pressure is borderline high..and I've always had a blood pressure that was on the low side. There isnt any protein in my urine, which is a good thing. I've been getting lots of dizzy spells that has been making me feel like I'm going to vomit and pass out.
So..I'll be getting checked once a week now to make sure I'm not developing preeclampsia. My mom had it when she was pregnant with me and had to be induced right away.
Your experience with it?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 6:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I developed Preeclampsia with my oldest child at 5 months. My BP was sky high, lots of swelling in both legs, proein in the uine, massive headache. I was on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. It was pretty miserable. This was early 80's we didn't have a TV with a remote, we didn't have cable and no computer. I taught myself to knit, I embroidered, I read and I slept. My BP stayed down if I didn't get up much. The dr. finally arranged for an ambulance transfer setrvice to come to take me to the hospital. It was a compromise to let me stay at home. I was able to carry to term because I did EXACTLY what they said. Some ppl follow the orders and still have to be delivered. It is different for everyone.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• With mine, I just had a little swelling in both feet and legs and I didn't have a clue that anything was wrong until they said my blood pressure was way too high. I was induced, I don't remember how long after the diagnosis, but it wasn't right away.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I swear I had preeclampsia with my son. I swelled so big right around five months I couldn't fit into my shoes. At 8 months I was so swollen I couldn't wear flip flops! My bp is usually really low, and was low in the beginning of the pregnancy. When I told my doctor that my bp was high, she looked at my chart and said my bp is always 110/70. YEAH RIGHT! When I checked it, it was 140's over 90's. When I told my dr that, she said that her MA doesn't make mistakes and all the machines were wrong. She said that from the very beginning I was "spilling protein" in my urine. Turns out I had 60 pounds of water weight. It was all gone within two weeks of giving birth. You don't gain that much water weight w/o a heart problem.

Anyway... my symptoms were swelling... everywhere, headaches, and severe joint pain. All the fluid built up around my joints, and I couldn't even grip a door handle because my fingers hurt so bad.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i had preeclampsia just a few months ago..i had horrible swelling and gained 80lbs fluid...and my bp was 209/124 i had to magnesium to keep me from having seizures...my baby was born at 29wks 2days and was in the nicu for 2mnths she weighed 2lbs 1oz i was dizzy and saw spots...its really not something to play with good luck if you have any questions please feel free to message me,,
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I had similar symptoms in my last pregnancy with no pre-eclampsia. Turned out I was just dehydrated and not eating enough protein. Check out Dr. Brewer's diet, I think the site is blueribbonbaby.org. He's done great work with pre-e and how to avoid it.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2010