Wondering if it is overkill...

So, my ex-husband, his new wife, all of his family, and his ex-girlfriend have encompassed my life in drama lately. I feel like I am trapped in the middle of all of them. So, the question is; Am I overreacting by considering changing my phone number and cutting them all out? I did this once before and then let them have it so they could communicate with my daughter. Now, she has seen all this going on and doesn't want anything to do with them all anymore. So, there really isn't any reason I have to have an open line with them anymore.

cjzmom

Asked by cjzmom at 7:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• Sometimes you have to cut people out of your life and do whats best for you. Just have to wonder though, the common denominator here is you, are you sure you're not inviting the drama in anyway?? These are your daughters family so though you can cut them out of your life you can't completely cut them out of hers.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would completly do a number change and only communicate by email and when it becomes necessary that u have to speak to them for the sake of ur daughter u call them and *67 ur phone number so that they will not have access to it.
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 7:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If your daughter is ok with it, then I don't see why not. Maybe at some point you can recconnect with her dad but I totally understand wanting to be drama-free.
    mommymela87

Answer by mommymela87 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• is your ex husband your daughters father? was he dad to her for a long time?

if yes, then I think you should figure out a way to deal with this without cutting them all out of her life.
    your daughter is a child, and she may be wanting to cut them loose by looking at the example you are setting.
    sorry dear, but you married this man, one way or another brought him into your daughters life, so this is the situation now.
    I think you should deal with it.
    Anonymous

• seems like the dad would have legal rights to all this, then the drama could REALLY begin.
    it doesn't always matter if he is the bio dad or not. the definition of father is no longer determined my just genes anymore.
    Anonymous

• Honestly if you feel something is going to hinder your childs life and cause them pain emotional or other wise in ANY way then to me its your DUTY to prevent it if at all possible.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, I married him, and yes, he is her father. However, he was only a present parent for the first 2 1/2 years of her life. She is 11 now and has called my current husband Daddy since she was 6. She really does not feel anything toward my ex. Her half "brother" from his ex-girlfriend stayed with us for 2 weeks and then proceeded to push her about their father and lie to him about her. She is definitely ready to be done. I have told her when she says she is done that if she wants to find him when she is 18 that I will help her do so. Her response is " I will call Troy Dunn and be on the Locator." LOL
    cjzmom

Comment by cjzmom (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• what is it with as soon as someone is inconvenient you cut them out and blame it on drama?
    what is happening that would make you want to cut your daughters dad out of her life?
    Anonymous

• Protect your child and respect her wishes. Cut the ties.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• with family comes drama.
    I would just keep in mind that it may not be as easy as you think to cut them out of your daughters life.
    I hope it works out for all involved, but if there really is things going on that are that bad, then I'd start documenting. Her father may fight you.
    Anonymous