What does it make you think when people can't have a discussion w/o throwing personal insults?

Do you find that this happens more on the internet than in real life? We are all pretty anonymous here, even with our screen names. Does this say something about the maturity level or the strength of their argument?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 7:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree that it happens more on the internet. people throw out personal insults when they feel incompetent within themselves so making others feel bad by throwing "low blows" tends to make insecure people feel better. I say that those people are lame and insecure and should'nt hurt others especially online because it shows that they are not brave enough to confront there issues face to face. And maturity level is a major thing, i cant tell ppl what i think without being offensive or insulting them.
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 7:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• that they're ignorant
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I always say if you have nothing nice to say, do not say it at all.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• They just seem insecure to me. If you feel secure in your opinion, your ability to listen to a discussion and then either stand firm or change your opinion, you don't resort to childish behavior like name calling. It's uncalled for and counter productive.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When you are passionate about an opinion, some times it can cause emotions to fly rampant.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• it's easier to get offended on the internet and thus defend yourself more strongly than usual b/c there's no tone or voice to put with words aside from what's in your own head. i could write out a sentence and you could read it as offensive or demoralizing when that wasn't my intent at all.

i just find it... sad that so many people are unwilling to have a DISCUSSION rather than a CONVERSION. no one much seems content with the theory of 'live and let live'. now a days it seems more like 'live and convert everyone to what i think'.

i'd rather have a great conversation and be enlightened to a new perspective rather than spend all my time trying to convert people to my opinion. but then again, i might have missed the entire point of your post. my apologies if i have. *sheepish smile* =)
    cassieerin

Answer by cassieerin at 8:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It makes me think people can be pretty passionate about their opinions on things.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• tmi- maybe they need to get laid!
    Anonymous

• are you sure it's not just a case of wanting people to agree with you?
    Anonymous

• as scary as it is, i am exactly the same way in real life as i am on cafemom.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010